Reservation pick up snag due to not being the Primary Account Holder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rm.237, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

So I was able to reserve an iPhone 4 at my local Apple Store for pick up on the 24th. The thing is though my wife and I put our phones in her name. Meaning she is the primary account holder. I am on the account as a retail authorized user. She has to work that day and I don't trust my iPhone being there after 3:00 when she gets off. Or at the very least I am paranoid of all the possible things that could go wrong that day and want to make sure to be there in the morning first thing. What I'm afraid of is them not allowing me to make the purchase due to her being the primary account holder. Anyone had a similar issue to this or dealt with it before?

2. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Yes, I posted this in a previous thread. My phone is in a friends name. I too am an authorized user on the account that can make changes. I have changed plan stuff on the phone and signed new contracts in the AT&T store. I went last year to an apple store to get a 3GS, waited in line for a few hours and when I got in the store I got all the way to them having the ohone on the counter and then they asked for ID. The policy is you MUST be the primary holder to re-up the contract. they site that they have no access to advanced records of your att account that shows that you are an authorized user. I was turned away that day and had to wait 2 weeks until my friend came back into town. when I went again there was another line and while we waited an Apple employee came by asking everyone if they were or had the primary account holder with them that day. if they did not they were turned away.
    however, you can go to an ATT corporate store and do it there with no problems.

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

If you are going to an Apple store, you need the account holder with you. This happened to me as well when I was upgrading to the 3G. They let me "slide" since they wanted the sale. I even brought in the paper that I printed from the account stating that I was an authorized user.

4. actorkid macrumors 6502

Contact your Apple store and ask.

Last year those who weren't primary account holders were turned away, but I called my apple store and they assured me that they were able to accept authorized users this year. Just to make sure I reminded them that last year they didn't allow it. The store manager said that they are aware they couldn't do it last year, but this year they are completely able to do so.

5. cello2456 macrumors regular

Last year I went to an Apple store to get a 3GS for my husband. I already had a 3G. He is the primary on the account since it is a Premier through his work. He absolutely had to be present to sign the new contract even though I am an authorized user on the account. Good thing the line was long and he was home at the time I called!! He hustled down to the mall before our turn came.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You just provide your name and you will be required to provide a Photo ID ( Goverment Issued) at the AT&T Store.

The challenge comes when you try to do this at the Apple store. The offical policy is that at Apple the Primary Account Holder needs to be present. Your experience at your local Apple store may vary but this is the official policy. :(

Quote: Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores – If visiting an Apple store, the account holder must be present

Here are a couple of helpful links for your review.

What is a Retail Authorized User? (shows official Apple Policy)
    http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...e=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110035

How can I add a Retail Authorized User to my account?
    http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Dave

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Just have her call ATT and put you as #1. You and her will both have full access and she wont need to be there :).

8. gco212 macrumors 6502

Quick related question. I'm a law student still on my family's plan as it's cheaper than going to individual plans, but the plan is under my dad's name. As luck would have it (or maybe it was intentional ;) ),I have the same name as my dad. I also know his SSN, will I have any trouble getting service at an Apple store where my phone is reserved? I doubt they look at the age but was just curious. I need to change the price as I am elligble for the $299 pricing, but am currently listed as $599 as it was just a reservation on-line as the store was so buggy and I couldn't get an actual order through.

Also, from past experiences on launch days, would it be better to get there early (I could get there at 6 AM if necessary), or does the line die down as the day runs on? I'm not that anxious to get in and don't need to get it early in the day, but at the same time I don't feel like getting in line and waiting four hours or something crazy like that. If it matters, I'm going to the store in the King of Prussia Mall in Pennsylvania.

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Mine very rudely said no!

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just spoke with someone at the Lenox Atlanta shop and he said that his most current info says that Authorized Users can pick up their phones. He said that it might change so your best bet is to call the day before so you don't make a trip/stand in line for nothing.

**Edit**

Another employee said that you will need the last 4 digits of the account holder's social and they will just need to call the primary account holder and verify over the phone.

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Wow a law student that wants to break the "Law", that's new. :eek: :(

Apple only has access to the basic information to confirm the name of the account holder. So if you have a valid (current) Photo ID and you are 18 or older, you can impersonate your dad. Yes, since you asked and read the response you can't just play dumb and say "I did not know I was impersonating my dad". I was just picking up my iPhone 4.

The good news is that you will have your new iPhone 4 to make your call to your Dad for bail money. :D:eek:

Dave

12. gco212 macrumors 6502

There's nothing even remotely illegal in it. I'm an authorized user on the account, just not the primary one. It may be Apple's policy to require the primary owner (or it might not as there are contratdictory accounts in this thread), but it's not AT&T's, nor is it illgal for me to sign the new contract on the account.

I'll give them my name, my ID, and the rest of the account info. I'm just curious if they'll also have access to the birthdate, as that wouldn't match up on the ID. I'm not impersonating my dad, it simply makes it easier in doing things like this to not notify them their are two of us. Less of a hassle you see. Go back to thumping your Bible.

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

well, you are impersonating him to Apple. It's there policy and so to them you are impersonating him. Is it illegal? for the reason you mentioned I would say not. In fact I can go down to the store and use my dads CC and sign his name if I have his permission and authorization to do so. if the store does not like it and wont accept it does not make it illegal. Fact is in that type of situatiion the police have no case if there is not a complaining victim.

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Varies from store to store. My apple store allowed authorized users, but my other one doesn't.

15. hardhead89 macrumors member

Just called my store to verify I was on the reservation list(I was) and I asked about this issue. I was told that you need to be either the primary user or an authorized one to pick it up. The reservation is under my name too even though I'm not the primary because it was through my iTunes account. I think it varies by store.

16. citizenal macrumors regular

I am going to just go to the store with my dad's ID and last 4 digits of ss# and give it a try. If they have any problems, they can call my dad and confirm. Stupid thing is, the account was in my name 13 years ago, I don't know how it got on his name but I never had any concern until now. :confused: I guess we'll find out next thursday.

17. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

It must depend on the store because I spoke with 3 people (1 manager) today at the Apple store and they told me if I am authorized on the account then I would be able to pick mine up without the PAH.

18. Hawtrawk macrumors newbie

Thanks for bringing this up! It was very helpful!!! :D

19. ahintz macrumors member

ahintz

I checked with my local Apple store yesterday about this same issue, because I am not the primary account holder on our FamilyTalk plan. I was told that as long as I had the billing zip code and last four of the primary's SSN, I would be able to pickup my iPhone. I figure I'll call again next week and see if I get the same answer. Glad to see others are hearing the same thing, however!