Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meridotz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
New Jersey, USA
So I reserved my iphone, but now feel like I want to pre-order it for pick up. Does anyone know how to change a reservation to a pre-order?

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
To change this through Apple you need to do this.....

1. Cancel Reservation/Pre-Order
2. Go to AT&T Corporate store to have upgrade status re-added to account
3. Go back online and do the Pre-Order

I know this because I decided to cancel my 16gb 3GS to get a 32gb 3GS. Problem is that the Apple system does not sync back with AT&T after the cancelation. Apple tells you to either way 24 hours to 7 days or call AT&T. When you contact AT&T they will tell you they can not do it over the phone. So you must go to a AT&T store and have them order then cancel an iPhone 3GS to reset your account.

Hope that helps.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
What's the difference between reserving it for pick-up and pre-ordering it for pick-up (at the Apple store)? I thought pre-ordering was for shipping to your doorstep?

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
So I reserved my iphone, but now feel like I want to pre-order it for pick up. Does anyone know how to change a reservation to a pre-order?

What happens when you go the the apple.com store and try to pre-order the phone. Does it give you the price that you had gotten for the reserved phone? If yes, then i think you could just place a preorder ( i think)

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
Reserving at the Apple store is just getting pre authorization done so the process goes faster once you stand in line and hope to get a phone. At AT&T you pre-order/pre-pay for the phone and you will get a phone that day if you ordered by June 12, after that the phone will be shipped to your house/office and that delivery date is unknown.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
To change this through Apple you need to do this.....

1. Cancel Reservation/Pre-Order
2. Go to AT&T Corporate store to have upgrade status re-added to account
3. Go back online and do the Pre-Order

I know this because I decided to cancel my 16gb 3GS to get a 32gb 3GS. Problem is that the Apple system does not sync back with AT&T after the cancelation. Apple tells you to either way 24 hours to 7 days or call AT&T. When you contact AT&T they will tell you they can not do it over the phone. So you must go to a AT&T store and have them order then cancel an iPhone 3GS to reset your account.

Hope that helps.

I had preordered a 16gb and wanted to change it to a 32gb one. I called apple and they said they would cancel my 16gb order and i could immediately place the order for the 32gb one. The second order was the correct subsidized price that i was expecting. I asked the agent if my subsidized status would be effected and she said no, place the new order after i cancel it.

edit: Just to clarify, i preordered mine for shipping, pickup.

meridotz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
New Jersey, USA
Pre-order vs. reserve

You can pre-order to pick up at an apple store, which I think guarantees you a phone, whereas a reservation does not. Though the idea of having it delivered directly to my home is fabulous, I'd rather wait online for a few hours early in the morning, than sit at home all day waiting for Fedex. I have to work later in the day, and if I miss Mr. Fedex... Ugh.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, I don't mind waiting in line for hours as long as there's an iphone at the end of that time. To wait for hours and walk away with nothing would be super frustrating, so I worry that a reservation was the wrong way to go.

This is my first iphone, I have no idea what to expect in terms of stock at my apple store! I don't need to be first, I just don't want to wait for nothing. Thoughts?

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
When I went back through it said my line was not able to upgrade. If it says this then you have to do what I said.

To cancel your iPhone order you may have to call Apple. That is what I did. But I think you might be able to do it by going to order status.

JosephBergdoll

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
NYC
I did this same thing today but I still had the upgrade pricing... I called the Apple store and they say that your account will not be billed if you don't come and pick it up. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.