iPhone XS Max RESET > ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS > iCloud unable to approve XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Oct 25, 2018.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm not understanding what's exactly is going on here.

I did a RESET on my XS Max > ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS.

I did a complete set up, "set up as new" from start. As I set things up, I register my Apple I.D. and it asks me to go to one of my other Apple devices to approve this phone, the XS Max.

My initial set up did not ask me for this step. I go to my MBA and sign into iCould and nothing appears. I go to my 5S sign into iCloud and the XS Max appears under DEVICES, but when I go to my XS Max, it's waiting for me to approve the device. Where?

What is going on? There's also an option to RESET ENCRYPTED DATA. What happens if I do this?

This XS Max is going back.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 601

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

2FA? Whats that?

4. Shadowbech, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018

Shadowbech macrumors 601

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Google Chrome.png

6. ET iPhone Home, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018

ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thank... I have 2FA turned off. I'll set it up to see if this troubleshoots the issue. Thank you.
    edit: It was actually ON the entire time.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2018 ---
    edit: Actually 2FA is turned ON in my XS Max.

This is strange..when I try to change my password a 2FA code is sent to my MBA.

But when I go to "UPDATE APPLE ID SETTINGS, nothing happen. No 2FA code sent to my MBA, therefore not allowing me to approve XS MAX device.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Weird.

I updated my iPad to 12.0.1 the other day and had nothing but trouble with Apple ID. However, I was receiving codes.

I'm not so sure iOS 12 is ready for primetime, which is typical because usually the early versions of a new firmware aren't.

8. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

If it was 2 days ago, most of Apple services experienced outages.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, I read something about that last night. It would have been Tuesday evening I was trying to do this. My understanding of all that though was that it was resolved before I had my issues.

Who knows though.

In any case, there are a couple of things I like about iOS 12 so far, but a lot I don't. Ah well, it's my iPad which I don't use for much except browsing.

10. Funsize93 macrumors regular

Funsize93

Its a keychain prompt. For you to sign in with your Apple ID and retain your passwords you need to approve your keychain from another device.

If you still have your older device setup you can use it to authenticate it during the setup of your new phone, by using the quick setup option.

If you dont have another device: If you don't care about keeping those passwords you can choose "cant approve" > "reset encrypted data" ....something similar like that.