Resetting & erasing via the phone - but it doesn't seem to be doing anything

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by StinkyDonk, Jan 24, 2013.

1. StinkyDonk macrumors regular

Just tried resetting the phone as i've sold it.

Anyway the screen went black & i get that circle thing in the middle as the dots run round in a circle. It's been doing this for about 10 minutes now.

Is this normal? I would've thought there'd be some sort of progression bar or something?

2. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

An hour later & it's still doing the same. What to do?

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You weren't jailbroken, were you?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you do an Erase All Content and Settings on a 3GS or later which have hardware encryption it shouldn't take very long. On an original or 3G model it could easily take more than an hour.

A restore through iTunes probably would have been quicker.

Relevant article.

5. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - was/am jailbroken & on iOS 5.0.1. Have blobs for 5.1.1.

I've tried updating through iTunes to iOS 6.0.1 as that's the available update according to iTunes, although i get an error 3194 message. I try to restore & update & get the same error message.

So i can't update, i can't delete - it seems i can't do a damn thing with this phone.

All i want to do is erase all content. How can i do it & why wont it let me?

6. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

The Cydia app "noupdate" was installed i found. I've removed that to see if it'll make a difference.

Any ideas in the meantime?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Erasing all content and settings is JB no-no 101. I'm not sure exactly what it will do, but selecting erase all content and settings on a jailbroken phone is one of the worst things you can do. Search the forum for it, especially the jailbreak section. Hopefully you'll find some guidance.

8. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

Just to update - i got it sorted in the end. Started around 6:30pm, finished at 12:15am.

In the end, i couldn't erase, i couldn't update & i've no idea why.

What did finally work was restoring through redsn0w. The phone was running iOS5.0.1 so i restored it using the exact same iOS5.0.1 & this was the only way i could reset the phone.

Worked fine afterwards, so problem solved, eventually.

So i didn't have to update :)
    I just got told that elsewhere. Why is that (about the erase...)?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's always the case, you cannot do a proper erase all on a JB iphone. It will never go through.

10. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

Out of curiosity - what's the reason behind that?

And does trying it effect the phone in any way? As in stop you from updating (because i couldn't even update).

11. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

Also, why does the apple community support get their knickers in a twist when you mention the word jailbreak? It's not illegal. I asked over there & had my thread deleted.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    I dont think at the apple support forums they want to hear anything about jailbreaking and they probably consider it as a big sin:D lol
    About why you cant do an erase all on a JB its been like that forever. The JB causes a software conflict with the erase all process and then either gives you an error or it just creates havoc in the filesystem that ends up leaving the phone stuck at the Apple logo and in need of a dfu restore.
    About the over the air update on a JB iphone Apple has put a check in place so if the phone is JB you cannot use that feature.