Resetting logon password on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by donawalt, Oct 17, 2018.

1. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

Hi all, I have a friend who forgot their password, and I want to give them instructions how to reset. Are these instructions still accurate in Mojave? The reason I ask is that they do not work on my Mac, I am pretty sure it is because I have FileVault turned on - and my friend does not. How is this done if File Vault is turned on? Or is this a T2 chip issue? Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------
    To get started, begin with your computer powered off. Turn it on, and immediately press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears; hold them until you see the Apple logo, then let the two keys up. A small loading bar will appear under the logo. Sit tight as your system boots into Recovery Mode.

Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword and press Enter. Close out the Terminal window and behind it you will find the Reset Password utility. All you have to do now is select the user account you want to reset, enter a new password or leave it blank and click Save. Then just simply restart the computer from the Apple menu and login with your new password.

2. Lunder89 macrumors 6502

Lunder89

3. 960design macrumors 68030

Physical access to the machine and you can easily reset the password, with or without FileVault.

Login with Admin account, reset friend's password. Hmmm, let me guess, your friend is daily driving their Mac with an admin account... tsk, tsk.

Your instructions should work. ( you skipped a few steps, probably for terseness, but you have the gist ).

4. donawalt thread starter macrumors 6502

donawalt

5. Funsize93 macrumors regular

Funsize93

Should be fine as long as Filevault is not turned on. If the reset password terminal thing fails and Filevault is turned off (Volume is unlocked in DiskUtility). I would force the setup assistant using single user mode so you can create a temporary admin user to reset the password of the original user.

www.theinstructional.com/guides/how-to-re-run-the-os-x-setup-assistant