Resident of house commits suicide, tell new residents?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by redwarrior, Jul 12, 2008.

1. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

The previous renter of the house next door to mine committed suicide. There have been two other families in it since. The first family moved out to find something bigger, and the second family moved out and never said goodbye or anything. I saw them a few days ago and asked them why they left. They said that their 2 year old daughter was seeing things and then someone told them what had happened in the house.

I haven't mentioned anything to anyone about the suicide. The house is a small but expensive home (brick, very nice interior), on 17 acres. I know that the owner wants to keep renting it and would not tell potential renters what occurred in the home.

I would like to know what everyone thinks of this.
    A) Put yourself in the owners position of needing to rent or sell the home. Should he reveal this?
    B) Put yourself in my position as a neighbor. Should I stay out of it or tell the renters/potential buyers about it? (The owner is a very wealthy and influential (and nice) man in my very small community, and I would really rather stay on his good side!)
    C) What about the renters/potential buyers, would you want to know? And if you did, would it affect your staying in the home and/or the price you would be willing to pay?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Ignorance is bliss.

Since the past in this case does not cause harm to new renters (unlike a chemical spill for example), i'd say let it be unless you are asked about it directly.

IMHO that is.

3. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's the position I've taken so far. I just can't really decide if I would actually want to know myself. I'm not the type to believe in hauntings, although I don't discount experiences others have had with the supernatural; just don't have a fear of it I guess.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Death is death, happens every stinkin' day.

17 acres sounds nice.

What will they sell it for, and what does it take to carry?? :p

Oh, and WTH is it. :rolleyes:

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I moved into my current place about seven years ago and only found out a couple of months ago that the previous tenant committed suicide by leaping from the studio window to the flower beds and railings five floors below. This didn't bother me in the slightest.

As a neighbour, you should keep things to yourself, I feel.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't believe in ghosts or the paranormal, so it personally wouldn't bother me. I'm not sure what I'd do if I were the landlord though. I guess people have the right to know, but I'd think they're crazy if they don't rent because of it

7. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

It would sell for about 1.5 million. 2B/2B Ranch - Rents out at $2000/mo. (This is a resort area.)

This was an ex-military guy. Killed himself with a gunshot to the head in his bathroom. It blew out the wall into the bedroom. I heard it was a terrible clean-up. They practically removed the whole back half of the house and rebuilt it.

(I knew this man personally and had spent many hours talking to him about his experiences. We were out of town when it happened.)

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

psrt of m says there might be a law that you must disclose that in some states (ill try to research it)

9. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thank you! That would be very interesting. If it helps, we're in Georgia.:)

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That is awful.

The people that told me about the previous tenant in my situation looked very ashamed and abashed to tell me the news, and it was only because I asked them about redirecting the occasional piece of mail I still get to this day. But I think they felt more uncomfortable about it than I did.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

For a rental? I've never heard of that. I can't even imagine having to disclose it if he sold the place. What other tenants have done there is something beyond the owner's ability to control. I do know that if a house has been used as a meth lab, disclosure of that fact is necessary, but that's for legitimate health reasons.

As far as the OP is concerned, I don't think you should meddle. The second tenant's two year old daughter could well have had other issues. To attribute it to a suicide seems rather speculative.

The only problem about not telling is that some neighborhood busybody is sure to say something eventually. If you get to know the neighbors well enough, maybe then say something.

Besides, how would you forewarn any prospective renter? I'm sure the owner could easily take you to court if he wanted to.

12. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Something else I had not thought about! Thanks, I will keep my mouth shut. I'm glad to hear that everyone seems to agree with me. I was honestly wondering if I was doing the right thing by not saying anything.:eek:

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ugg is probably right. however never hurts to look into it

i know for me personally, i could never live in a place where a suicide/murder took place and would appreciate knowing. however if it takes away an agreement, probably isnt worth it to you to tell

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I :eek: at the price you quoted, then reflected on a scene from Dr. Strangelove, with General Ripper blowing his brains out in the bathroom.

Someone must have a squeamish stomach, I guess??

15. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Must've been quite a good reflection!

Yeah, property values are very high where I live, it being a resort town and all. And rental property is very desirable, especially at certain times of the year.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I say keep it to yourself. Good fences and tight lips make good neighbors.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

He probably should reveal it and as a potential renter/owner, I'd want to know. I'm not really superstitious, but it would give me the creeps, and I'd definitely lower my asking price if I came around to considering it at all (probably wouldn't buy/rent, to be honest). As for you, you should probably stay out of it...

OR

You should tell everybody discreetly so that the owner cannot manage to rent the property. Then you should low ball an offer, snatch up the property, sell it to some developers, and move to Hawaii.

As a side note...Two grand a month is a pretty cheap rental on a property that's worth a million and a half. But I guess that's the kind of market this is, and if he's already cleared the mortgage, it probably doesn't make much difference.

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

A lot of places it's the law I believe. I looked at a place where he told me there was a 'domestic dispute', but that they had replaced all the walls and flooring. I thought that was strange so I looked into it. Turns out it was a shotgun blast to the head in the living room.

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I pretty sure you are correct, Ugg. If you are selling a house, then you must make a full disclosure. Rules for landlords can vary State to State, and City to City. However, most deal with safety issues, and things like eviction notices and usury protection. Owner history would be highly unusual - this is not Salem is it?

To the OP, if you are going to look up rental laws, I tend to agree with many others and suggest you not involve yourself in matters, which are really not your concern. However, it is your call.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I completely believe in the paranormal (i've experienced it for myself) but I'm not gonna give my opinion. I'll be laughed out of MacRumors if I do.

However, I wouldn't doubt for a second that the child saw things in that house. Children are more conscious of paranormal activities than adults are.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

pics or it didnt happen lol

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Sorry, the sightings are very sporadic and extremely random. I don't carry a camera with me where ever I go. ;)

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I believe in California any death on the property within the past 3 years has to be disclosed, and after that only if directly asked. Of course, I'm sure this varies from state to state.

That said, it's none of your business; it's between the owner and the renters.

Besides, it makes no difference.

PS - However, it's a different story entirely if you're asked. If that's the case, don't feel obligated to lie. Just don't bring it up.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Unless you're renting/buying a relatively new place you should assume someone has died in it at some point. I don't think it's the duty of the landlord to say anything, especially now that two other groups of tenants have come and gone since it occurred.

25. mpw Guest

[A] I wouldn't bother, just can't see any reason to and it's certainly not a requirement here.
    I wouldn't get involved prior to somebody moving in unless they specifically asked, at which point you can only tell the truth.
    [C] Wouldn't care, unless they went about it such a way that would have a lasting effect on the building, like torching themselves.

That's a return of just 1.6%! It's been two and a half years since I left my property job, but we wouldn't touch anything at less than 8%.

Why doesn't the owner sell and put the money in the bank?