Residents of Oregon town say shape of traffic posts is offensive

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Only in Oregon

A total of 52 of the posts were installed at a busy intersection in Keizer and they are getting a lot of second glances.

A number of residents have complained to the city that the posts resemble male genitalia.

"I can't disagree with that," said City Manager Chris Eppley. "They certainly did not turn out the way we anticipated."
Looks like a standard post to me that I see everywhere. People complain about everything. Find a job.

Attachments

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I live in Oregon and I think they're ok.
Yeah well you would with an avatar like that. :p

But, seriously, they look just like posts in most other places, and I think the people that complained just have dirty minds.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Yeah well you would with an avatar like that. :p
:p True. True.

Portland is actually pretty liberal. There are more strip clubs here per capita than any other city in the U.S. I think these posts could cause a problem in any state, not just OR. You just have to ruffle the right feathers. Granted these are in Keizer, which is about 40 minutes south of Portland.

In China the penis symbol is celebrated quite openly, in parks, parades and such.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Next thing you know

these people will be trying to change the name of the state because it sounds too much like a slang word for the male genitalia:rolleyes:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
It would have been a whole lot funnier if they had parked the car with the wheels in just the right place...:p

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Well I guess they are pretty imaginative there.

Nothing looks more like a male genitalia than my schools main parking lot...

My school is 2 stories tall, and this... shape is clearly visible.

Attachments

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
:p True. True.

Portland is actually pretty liberal. There are more strip clubs here per capita than any other city in the U.S. I think these posts could cause a problem in any state, not just OR. You just have to ruffle the right feathers. Granted these are in Keizer, which is about 40 minutes south of Portland.

In China the penis symbol is celebrated quite openly, in parks, parades and such.
There is a big difference between Portland and the rest of the state. So I can imagine people in Keizer freaking out.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
they get offended by something every second person on this earth has. jeebus, seriously.

the post doesn't even look that phallic.

on a similar topic, why does the American media find it necessary to blur out turds?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Seriously, I think it's actually getting quite stupid if people think that should be removed just because it's vaguely like a penis. Ice creams can look like an upside down penis:

or a dog turd:

or like, well, yeh:

But that doesn't stop me from eating ice cream (no dirty jokes please :D)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Does that mean the picture aroused you...?
No. I must have been looking in the mirror again or something.

the post doesn't even look that phallic.
You're right, it's too disproportionate. Too short and stumpy to be a penis. Imagine the girth a guy would have if he had a penis with the same proportions!

Despite not looking too much like a penis, I guess one solution is to cover it with a fitted sheet, preferrably waterproof so that the sheet doesn't get soaked and moldy from the fluids that makes contact with it (rubber or latex is a good material). That way, nobody can see the traffic post underneath it, and it would be protected from most disasters with a rather high rate of effectiveness.....probably around 98%.