RESOLVED: File/Screen Sharing Problem

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by jasnw, Jun 22, 2018.

1. jasnw, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018

jasnw macrumors 6502a

jasnw

I just put HS on my MBA for testing and have hit a roadblock. I can't get at files on the HS system from two other Macs on my wired LAN (one El Capitan, one Mavericks) nor can I get screen sharing to work. Just shows as "Connection Failed" and the only other diagnostic info I can find is:

6/22/18 3:29:05.836 PM sharingd[296]: 15:29:05.835 : SDSharePointBrowser::handleEnumerateCallBack returned -6600

from the log on the El Capitan system. I am able to ping the HS system using both IP and name from both other systems, and I can use ssh to get into the HS system. I just can get the Apple connection stuff to work. Que?

Later - Even more weird now. I have been able to get Screen Sharing to work twice out of a dozen or so tries from the El Cap machine, File Sharing isn't working at all. All of this was working fine when the MBA was running Sierra. I did have one odd message show up in the main window of the Console app on the HS system the first time Screen Sharing worked:

screensharingd Default RSA key size not specified in preferences. Using 2048

2. jasnw thread starter macrumors 6502a

jasnw

Problem has gone away, maybe or maybe not resolved. I turned off all sharing, rebooted, and turned it back on. Bingo, file sharing works and screen sharing appears to be more stable. The Windows three-finger salute may be history, but its underlying philosophy lives on. One good side effect to all this, I've learned how to make the new system log files actually usable.