- Resolved -Reinstalling OSX due to damaged or corrupt Safari

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
For some reason Safari is damaged in my Mojave installation. It seems reinstalling Mac OSX might fix it, it is causing my system to reboot randomly. The GPU that came with my 4,1 system (upgraded to 5,1) is a 4870 which is not METAL compatible, so I don't think I would be able to reinstall Mojave by putting the card back in the system, pressing command+R and choosing to reinstall OSX from the boot up menu. I can however try reinstalling Mojave from within my existing Mojave installation, should I try this?

MarkC426

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
UK
Have you tried the latest MacOS security update and Safari update to see if that fixes it.

MarkC426

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
UK
Also there must be a way to purge out the Safari cache.
You could also delete all web data.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Yes I did see some articles about that and I may still have to do that after the update I suspect.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
A more sensible starting point would be to simply create a new user account, log in, and start using Safari.

If it works without crashing on the same sites, then it is likely some sort of preferences corruption or a bad Safari extension in your normal account that is causing the issue.

If Safari still crashes then a macOS reinstall would seem to be in order.

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Since installing Mojave on this system not too long ago I have never used Safari at all. I suspect it is some kind of system corruption or damage to the app.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Since installing Mojave on this system not too long ago I have never used Safari at all.
Well, that's a key piece of information not present in your original post. Including it would have saved me the effort in responding.

I hereby bow out of this discussion; I have nothing more to contribute.

Best of luck.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Well, that's a key piece of information not present in your original post. Including it would have saved me the effort in responding.

I hereby bow out of this discussion; I have nothing more to contribute.

Best of luck.
My apologies for the omission.
Thanks