Respect For Marriage Act introduced in House and Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Apr 7, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well, looks like DOMA's days are numbered. The respect for marriage act has recently been introduced to repeal DOMA. This bill, if passed, would not legalize same sex marriage, but would grant gay couples federal marriage perks if they are married in a state where same sex marriage is legal. This is the second to last step in the process of nationwide gay marriage recognition. The last step will be when prop 8 finally gets to the supreme court and it is ruled that a state denying gay couples the right to marry is unconstitutional. Almost there, my population controlling friends! :)

http://www.care2.com/causes/civil-r...upport-repealing-the-defense-of-marriage-act/

PS.
    Lee, how could you have missed this? it was like over 2 weeks ago!

2. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

Hate to be the nay-sayer, but no way this passes. The current House is way too ... shall we say... moronic to do anything that would help people.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I agree. Lee is off his game. Maybe he's out looking for a partner with whom he can settle down, since he has no excuse now.

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

True, but the democrats are pretty great at arm twisting. So this may actually have a chance.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

In other words, they'll attach it to a defense spending bill?

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hey man, whatever works! Republicans are trying to defund planned parenthood and will shutdown the government to get it done. At least the democrats will be doing something good for the country if they attach it to a defense spending bill. If the republicans can attach their twisted social agenda to the nation's budget, the democrats can certainly attach their's to the defense spending bill. Except out president and senate are still democrat controlled, so the democrats will get their way and the republicans won't, as it should be.

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

With polls coming out supported gay marriage, I wouldn't count it out. And with a name like Respect for Marriage Act, it could get a bunch of initial support as well. :D

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The problem, as with all of us, is finding someone he will not eventually smother in the middle of the night. :D

Molasses in February runs faster than government, so I am becoming somewhat concerned that I will not see this happen in my life-time. :(

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You may say it. :D

He could be simply busy with work. Or perhaps he's just fed up with some of the stupidity in the political realm and needed to take a step back for a while.

Happy to see this bill being introduced, though, whatever its chances.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't understand how a "Defence of Marriage Act" got through in the first place. It sounds like something the Tea-Party would come up with now.

You guys need something like this

11. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

No we don't. We tried the "separate but equal" thing with blacks. It doesn't work.

What we need is an end to the government defining marriage.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Civil Partnerships are a stepping stone, there is no difference between them and marriage except the name. However, I hope the UK will redefine marriage soon (there is talk about it, but nothing concrete yet). Civil Partnerships have been quite successful here (I've been to a ceremony, which was great fun), hopefully this will make the dinosaurs realise that society hasn't collapsed in the last 7 years and true "gay marriage" will evolve from "civil partnerships".

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This. Have fun, guys! Too busy with my own stuff right now. Be back soon. :)

14. Surely Guest

Surely

It's because you're focusing all of your energy on the Blackhawks.... trying to will them into the playoffs, right?:p

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes! Go Hawks!

16. /user/me macrumors 6502

That shows how many people are uncomfortable with the idea. As people, we tend to take things that we see as "different" or "strange" and quantify/define them. Through this, it becomes more bearable because it's now defined, so it's not seen as a threat.