Responding to Texts with Pass Code Protected iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueIvy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. BlueIvy macrumors newbie

I currently have my iPhone pass code protected, but I find it a pain in the butt to constantly have to unlock and enter the code each time I want to respond to a text. Is there a way to get around entering the pass code simply in responding to text messages?

I'd like to quickly respond to text messages without going through all the hoopla of sliding, unlocking, enter 4-digit pass code, all just just to text, "Yes."

Thanks so much!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Only if you Jailbreak and install something like BiteSMS, which has quick reply.

Otherwise, you defeat one purpose of having a passcode.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. BlueIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding.

I don't see how bypassing the code in responding to text messages defeats the purpose of a pass code. The code will still secure everything else on the iPhone with the exception of responding to a text.

Not ready to JB my phone so I guess I'll just have to do the hard labor of entering the PC each and every time! :(

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you really want other people responding to your texts? I don't.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's really not hard at all and if you don't like it or something goes wrong then you can just restore. What do you think you're not ready for?

7. BlueIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at all, but by the time I figure my phone is lost or missing, I'd disable everything from that "where's my iphone" app. :D

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

What makes you think that'll be fast enough for someone to not reply to at least one message?

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This thread took a left turn. The question was for a "quick reply" feature on a locked phone. It sounds like the OP understands the ramifications. Apple did a good job on the "quick photo" option which still provides privacy so this type of feature doesn't have to provide unfettered access to all messages.

With that said, Siri can read and respond to messages on a locked device.

10. BlueIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly this. If I can take a photo without unlocking, there shojld be some way to be able to repsond to txts without unlocking. Thanks PNutts for making it clearer.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Should but its not available.

12. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

I don't think these are the same at all (though I agree a quick reply option would be good).

The pics taken from the lock screen are sandboxed so the user can only look at pictures they've taken until unlocking. And they don't get into the photostream. So nothing leaves the phone while it's locked.

Being able to respond to texts is not really the same thing.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Aside from being able to take photos with the phone locked, you can already call back a missed call simply by sliding the lockscreen notification--it will make a call without prompting for the passcode. So, building in functionality to provide a single reply to a received message--without showing previous messages in the conversation or giving access to any other other messages or features of the phone--doesn't really seem all that strange or that much more complex.