Responsible Journalist Registry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 20, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a ****ing loon.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...quire-journalists-to-register-with-state.html

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd love to see every candidate asked about this.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

lol, what the hell is in the water down there?

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Did I make it in before the people who support a registry of gun owners are all outraged over this?

(and yes, I oppose this bill wholeheartedly)

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Guns and words are a bit different ;)

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Indeed. One is protected by the First Amendment, the other by the Second Amendment.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

beware what you wish for. fox news would be banned or rack up tons of fines.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A South Carolina state legislator proposing something isn't the same as it actually happening. And this isn't going to happen, not in South Carolina, not anywhere in the USA. So lets no get too worked up over it.

You don't need a license from the State to practice journalism. You might need a press pass, issued by a police department, if you want to cover crime scenes close up. And you'll definitely need one, issued by the organizers, if you want sideline access at a sporting event or trade show.

But lets not get too excited or surprised by a State Legislator proposing doing something dumb and/or unconstitutional.

Thats what they do.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

I was thinking more that speech isn't intended to kill things..... and aren't used to regularly murder children in schools.

But your point is valid.

11. mojolicious, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I suspect Fox News output is Representative Mike Pitts' idea of balanced reporting, at least until FedNet is up and running...

[​IMG]

Do you want to know more?

12. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

It is not the water. This move is emblematic of the Right-wing disdain for democratic institutions, and democracy in general. Republicans are essentially a neo-feudalist party now.

13. Robisan macrumors 6502

Without a hint of irony I'm sure Republican State Rep. Mike Pitts proudly walks around with a pocket copy of the Constitution too...

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

deeply lodged in his rectum :p

15. Robisan macrumors 6502

That's where his head can read it.

16. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Not that I agree at all with SC, but the US is not the torch holder for freedom of the press in any democratic way.

Freedom House, an independent watchdog organization, ranked the United States 30th out of 197 countries in terms of press freedom.[19] The report lauded the constitutional protections afforded American journalists, but criticized authorities for placing undue limits on investigative reporting in the name of national security. Freedom House awards countries a score out of 100, with 0 representing most free and 100 representing least free. The score is broken down into three, separately weighted, categories: legal (out of 30), political (out of 40), and economic (out of 30) environments. The United States scored a 6, 10, and 5 respectively. This gave it a cumulative score of 21.[20]

As of February 12, 2014, the United States is ranked 46th in the Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index.[21] This is a measure of freedom available to the press, encompassing areas such as government censorship, and not indicative of the quality of journalism. There was a fall from 20th in 2010 to 42nd in 2012, which was attributed to arrests of journalists covering the Occupy movement.[22]

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you really want the truth of what the GOP really does out there? that should be a stake in the heart of the republican party. maybe the democratic one too but the republican for sure.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

We get enough slanted negative press about the GOP already from the media arm of the Democrat party. The truth would be refreshing.

I'd like to see some honest writing for a change instead of the bias and lies we've been getting for a generation.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Please cite an example of what you believe to be untrue, distorted, or misleading press coverage of the various Republican Presidential candidates from one of your "usual suspects" in the lame stream media.

Did Donald Trump not say what he obviously did say about immigrants, women, Muslims, Mexicans, John McCain, etc.?

21. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I very much doubt it would be refreshing. I doubt thats the word it would be.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Lead. Rick Snyder isn't the only one feeding his constituents lead with their water.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Are you going to make the case that the media isn't biased against Republicans? Because they clearly are:
    • Remember 60 Minutes using forged documents in their October Surprise to harm Bush's reelection chance?
    • During the 2008 campaign, 69% of news stories were positive for Obama, 67% for Clinton, and only 43% for McCain
    • During the final week of the 2012 campaign, 29% of news stories about Obama were positive and 19% were negative. For Romney 16% of stories were positive and 33% were negative.
    I could go on, but the point is made.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    Doubt all you want, don't allow reason to color your thinking.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    Obama's EPA has really been on a roll. They watched as polluted mine water poisoned a river in Colorado, stood by while a gas leak endangers hundreds in California, and dithered while kids were harmed by lead in the water in Michigan!

Helluva job, Barry!

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its been said before, but the truth has liberal bias.

If you bother to read the source you cited, it says:

In the weeks immediately prior to the Election, there is obviously going to be a great deal of attention on poll numbers, and how that would play out in the Electoral College. President Obama and Governor Romney's poll numbers were what they were. And stories about polls showing Obama ahead are going to be rated "positive" and those showing Romney behind are going to be rated "negative."

What is an unbiased, objective Press supposed to do? Simply make up lies to balance things out? That may very well be the role Fox News has taken on for itself, but I don't think thats going to work too well.

But you are mistaking an honest reporting of facts with bias. Which is simply not the case.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Someone should have told that to Joseph Goebbels before the Ernst vom Rath speech that contributed to Kristallnacht.

Seriously, aren't you English. You have heard a certain quote by Edward Bulwer Lytton? It resonates for a reason.