Rest in peace, PowerBook. 11 years of service, endless good times.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macJC50640, Jul 4, 2009.

1. macJC50640 macrumors regular

As you can probably tell my the title, my beloved PowerBook died. It was a true workhorse, every day it would boot up straight into Mac OS 8.5 and wouldn't get in your way. It was a G3 PowerBook from 1998 (Wallstreet). I had loads of software on there, some include ClarisWorks, ClarisCAD, PhotoShop 4, and Office 98. It was originally my dad's main machine, but when he eventually upgraded to a Titanium PowerBook G4, and later to a black MacBook, the G3 PowerBook became mine. I never used it as a main machine, I have my iMac for that, but it was awfully fun surfing through good old OS 8.5 and testing out all the software. It was a great machine...

You see, the problem is it doesn't recognize power anymore. I have to power cycle it about 10 times before it boots up and recognizes that it's plugged in, and sometimes I can use it for a small amount of time. When it drops the power the computer goes into emergency sleep (because the batteries are dead, 11 years old) and its awfully hard to get it to wake up. I'm guessing its a loose power supply or something. I really am hoping it can be fixed...

Thanks for reading this long thing, post your thoughts. :)

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

From your description, the PS is almost certainly the culprit. Finding one may be a bit of challenge, though.

3. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

11 Years of service....can't complain about that.

Removes Harley Davidson hat, bows head, for a moment of silence for a deceased valiant soldier in the computer wars. :apple:

4. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    It is likely the DC board or the Power supply itself...relatively inexpensive components to replace. You can use any AC adapter from the 1400/2400/3400/g3/iBook chamshells...it will work fine.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I don't wear a Harley Davidson hat, but I agree with your sentiments.

To the OP, it is really nice, for a change, to see a thread that applauds an old work-horse (rather, than say, the more usual one which announces the purchase of a "new" MB/MBP). Well done, 11 years is a wonderful length of time for a computer to serve faithfully and well, and probably is a compliment to your care of the computer, too.

Cheers and good luck

6. macJC50640 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the nice comments :)

I really hope my uncle can fix it, if not I guess I'll have to look into ways to get all that nice software off off it. *sigh*

And yes, it was quite the workhorse :D