Restaurant owner sentenced to 6 years for switching curry recipe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, May 24, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016...tenced-to-6-years-for-switching-curry-recipe/

Don't let the headline fool you, altered ingredients led to a person's death. Having to be responsible for overt advertising and fraud is still A-OK and perfectly acceptable since even the article tries to spin it as "negligence" to swap ingredients without bothering to update the damn menu.

People are supposed to be in a society where they're mindful of and ethical toward others... and if the owner really had a lack of compassion, what sort of psychosis or sociopathy is going on?

6 years is too lenient given a multitude of factors, the least of which being death since food allergies are not a conspiracy cooked up by liberals. Run a restaurant? Take some responsibility or get out before lives are hurt, which - in that type of service - knowing what the business involves is not a trivial matter. Why not hire a doctor who just graduated with a 1-year certificate in accounting and/or basket weaving that wouldn't know the first thing about the job having to be done? Good grief.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Manslaughter is the right crime as he didn't deliberately kill them.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I never knew curry was such potent stuff.

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Sad story, but color me confused about this part:

Despite the fact that a 17-year-old customer had shown symptoms of an allergic reaction to the curry three weeks earlier, Zaman did nothing. The judge presiding over the case scolded the restaurant owner in court for his willful negligence.

Was this information shared with Zaman?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's not. He was using nut paste instead of almond paste so it wasn't nut free when it said it was.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

A Chinese place we have been going too for 20 or more years got new owner. so the chef (the owner) is always cutting corners and such. my wife and I both have problems with grains and we were able to get the food made to what we needed. one time they breaded a dish that was never breaded then the last time they washed the veggies in noddle water and we found small pieces of noodles floating in the dish after we were pretty much done.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Okay, yeah. That's not too bright.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm a bit confused by the article as the recipe had always contained nuts (almonds).

I've got a tree nut allergy and am advised to avoid all nuts and peanuts to be safe (cross reactivity between peanuts and tree nuts is very common).

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

This seems to be a problem that's been going around recently. There's this one Chinese restaurant I used to love. Easily had the best food around. But when the old owners sold the business to a new bunch, it became....well...not terrible, but it's not really any better than any of the other Chinese restaurants around anymore.

At least the fried rice is still good.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

People who can die by an ingredient have no business going to restaurants.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's why they're supposed to clearly label these things. It's so that people who are allergic to an ingredient can still go out and spend money in these restaurants without having to worry about death.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

ya they had a mostly Chinese customer. they hand made the noodles and dumplings and kimche chopped their own veggies and meat. but business has went down and the poor waitress who has been there almost as long as us is stick with it. I used to go in and the workers and wait staff were eating they would give me some of the food. really nice people.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If curry gives you a reaction why the F order curry again?

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I often dine upon flesh of fugu fish. Potent. Puts lead in pencil.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Or kill you dead. Either/or.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

or embalming fluid depending on the skill of the chef.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Have you ever had embalming fluid? It's not nearly as good as it smells.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

People who lie to the public and can't serve safe food have no business running a business.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2016 ---
    Different customer...

19. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

He ordered his food WITHOUT nuts, and they still did it.
    I avoid all indian restaurants. Period.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there you go no one should have any expectations of getting what they want. your solutions are great for business though not really very republican.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If we can't have nuts on a plane because some kid has a severe allergy, you shouldn't be eating anything you're not 100% sure is nut free if you're deathly allergic. In fact, maybe you shouldn't be eating out. A dish may not contain peanuts but others they serve might and contamination could occur.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If restaurants don't have to label food correctly why should grocery stores?

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Maybe someone just need to open a chain of nut free restaurants. We could call it "Jenner's", and...oh wait, she's still pre-op. NEVERMIND!

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But restaurants shouldn't be deliberately using peanut paste in a meal that's says on the menu it is nut free.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lmmfao...
    RIP to the kid.