Restaurant Welcomes Gun Owners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Moral of the story: simple minded folks in small hick towns are easy to please.

Reality: this uptick in business is most likely very temporary, bunch of gun nuts trying to support "one of their own". Unfortunately for this business owner, Americans have the average attention span of a goldfish. Her little paper sign will be forgotten and she'll need a new gimmick.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

i wonder if such invitations make a business legally liable if one of the guns goes off accidentally and kills somebody....

4. kolax macrumors G3

Running out of food in a restaurant full of hungry gun owners, yes..

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know where not to eat if I ever find myself in Bum**** Tennessee.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The moral of this story is if your business is failing, do something stupid to garner media and social media attention to delay the inevitable.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I plan to show up with a mini gun and ammo wrapped around my shoulders. :p

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

She said while one man said he would not come back to her establishment, more than 20 new customers have come through her doors since she posted the signs on three doors.

20 customers is "booming" in backwoods Tennessee? No wonder she needed this gimmick. Probably trying to put off bankruptcy.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hard to believe the Shiloh Brew and Chew wasn't drawing people.

I'd have thought the Big Ol' Steak Challenge—where if you eat 5 pounds of steak, 2 sides, a salad and a roll in under an hour then dinner is free and you get a t-shirt and your picture on the wall of fame—would have been enough to bring people in the door.

Attached Files:

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It should of included, "Please speak to management before shooting the waiter for poor service!""

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Insanity. I wouldn't ever step foot in there.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

13. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But when Starbucks stated in the media that they preferred people not come in armed, it was news. As was Target's statement. Neither of those two companies actually posted it. They just said it in press releases.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wow...put up a sign that says "guns are welcome" and gun enthusiasts show up.

Now I've heard everything.

Next thing you know, restaurants that welcome smoking will attract smokers!

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Welcome back from your vacation. Let's see. The Brew and Chew, a destination for foodies all over Bum****, Tennessee where 20 people eating can save a business and two national chains with thousands of locations and millions of customers each day. Perspective dude, get some.

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I don't have a CC, but I would go there without issue. Safest place in Tennessee. How many non law abiding citizens would be dumb enough to go in that place?

I bet this isn't an issue for them....

".."They had put up a sign that said 'No Weapons Allowed' and they were robbed at gunpoint two days later. ..."

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

Good point.

I guess the reason why starbucks was news is because they are trying to exclude people who merely exercise their rights.

This restaurant on the other hand welcomes people who do.

The usual suspects on this forum are obviously not happy with that.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with this apparent shock and awe that a place that out up a "guns welcome" sign would see increased business. Of course it will. We are at a period where gun owners feel they must beat every drum about gun ownership and make their feeling known. OF COURSE they are going to flock in ones to a restaurant that allows guns to show their support. And in two weeks, the 25 people who cared will head back to Washington to overthrow the government.

Most people on this forum are not anti-gun as I'm sure you believe. Wanting people who are going to carry in public to be trained and tested is not anti-gun, and that is what most people here support. Letting anyone and everyone carry in public, regardless of proficiency or knowledge, is a stupid-ass idea.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont believe that. Just some are.

21. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Do you think Starbucks or Target saw an increase of people coming there because they knew they were gun free zones?

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you are completely missing the point.

To begin with, there are other reasons for doing something besides business.

You could probably increase store traffic if you offered topless cashiers and a free Oxycontin caplet with a $20 purchase- but it wouldn't be right.

Secondly, the "no weapons" policies are there to prevent problems. Not just the mass-shooting massacre that makes the national news, but the day-in, day-out sort of little tragedy (suicide, domestic violence, etc.) that goes along with prevalent firearm possession.

When it comes to either operating or patronizing a coffee shop, discount store, or restaurant firearms seem to be a strictly extraneous part of the equation.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

No, because most people simply don't care. Most people don't look for places they can carry their guns. I, for one, never ever consider doing more business with a place simply because they have a no guns sign.

However, I would second-guess going into a place full of people packing.

Oh come on. That can't be the case.

What!?!!? Businesses don't only do things to increase business?? It can't be!!

I would likely go to a place which had topless cashiers, as long as they weren't old and dumpy.

Yep. Never consider it. Making that a part of your daily life decisions is a pretty sad existence.

My wife used to answer emails for a large local family attraction, and she got an occasional email with someone irate that they couldn't come to the attraction because their family wouldn't be safe. Pretty pathetic.

24. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

25. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Agreed 100 percent. I would walk in, and walk right back out of a restaurant full of ignorant hillbillies all packing heat. I live and work around them every day. They all want their guns with absolutely no regulation and they are all irresponsible with most things, including their guns.

Anyone who feels the need to strap a gun to themselves before going out in public has a serious psychological problem and needs medication, not a gun.

The chances of someone actually being able to "defend" themselves or their family with the gun are slim to none. The risk of an accident occurring (child gets the gun etc) is far higher than some gun toting idiot getting to be a hero by stopping a robbery. Chances are it would just end in a bloodbath where everyone is dead.

Again if someone wants to own a firearm, great. But there is no reason why training can't be required in order to own one.