Restocking fee for AT&T phone bought from Apple.com?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxPower49, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MaxPower49, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Can someone give me a clear answer on these questions? I called AT&T and the CS rep couldn't! I preordered the iPhone 5 from Apple.com (setting up a new individual AT&T account in the process) which will be here friday.

1) What happens if I use the phone for a while and then return it and terminate the contract (before 30 days) to the Apple store? Is there any restocking fee? Apple website seems to say no, but AT&T rep said $35 even if I bought it from Apple.

2) Would AT&T hit me with any other fees? Would I just pay whatever my monthly was prorated for the time that I had the phone? Does the activation fee get refunded?

3) If I just refuse shipment, I get a 100% refund with no fees at all, right?

Thanks.

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I've just read the Apples Sales and Refund Policy and no where does it say we will be slapped with a restocking fee. One would think that would be posted since other rules were shown for a return. So, my thinking it will not happen. You can call Apple for verification if you like

3. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

No restocking fees for any purchases at Apple.

4. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

theres no restocking fee for purchases directly from apple. Though, you cannot return an iPhone purchased online to a retail store. You must contact apple customer service and request a return authorization and ship it back to them. ATT will charge you for the days you used the service.

5. MaxPower49 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do they give you a prepaid label to ship it back or do I have to pay for shipping?

If I open the phone and play with it for a couple of days without activating it, then return it, there will be no fees from AT&T correct?

6. MrSpanks macrumors member

Well i don't know what your intent is but why not just go to the Apple store and play with the phone? Hell they even have them activated in the store. What more could you need? :confused:

7. MS2083 macrumors regular

Apple does not charge Restocking Fee's... If you ordered via the Apple Online Store, you can return it to any Apple Retail Store!

8. MaxPower49 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand it is a strange question... Long story. I'm going to have to return the one I preordered so I can buy one on a different shared account. They won't let you transfer a new line for 60 days. Just wondering if I can play with the one that is on the way to my house right now without fees.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

1. No restocking fee from Apple.
    2. Activation fee refunded if you cancel within 3 days, after that up to 30 days you pay Activation and usage.
    3. Best to accept package, contact Apple and let them know you to return it and follow their instructions. A refused order may take longer to clear.

Yes you can transfer a new line within 60 days. AT&T has no restrictions, if you want to merge your new line into a FamilyTalk account, you might need to do a Transfer of Responsibility if the primary line is in someone elses name.

What are you really trying to do with the transfer?

Dave

10. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

You can't return iPhones to the store. They have to be shipped back.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

11. MaxPower49 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response Dave. Here is what I'm trying to do... I preordered a new iPhone 5 from Apple the minute it went on sale and set up a brand new AT&T individual account in the process. Several days later I was talking to some family members and we decided that we would create a mobile share plan to split with 5 of us on the plan. It works out considerably better for all of us. My brother in law is going to set it up on his account because he gets a corporate discount on the data plan. The rest of us are going to transfer our lines over to his account. We have talked to several people over at AT&T now and they have all said that I can't transfer my line for 60 days after creating the account.

Are you saying this isn't correct? If not, how do I go about getting it accomplished when the AT&T reps are telling me I can't do it? They tell me that the best thing to do would be to cancel the plan I signed up for and just order a new line and phone through my brother in law. Which means I'll have to wait at least a few more weeks to get my phone.

Thanks for the help.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, they are correct in this case. That's why I mentioned the Transfer of Service in my post and I asked what you are really trying to do with your transfer.

For a Transfer of Service aka Transfer of Billing Responsibility, your account (to be transferred) would have to be active for 60 days before you can transfer it to another person.

If you were just wanting to merge your new line into a FamilyTalk plan or create a Mobile Share Plan in your name, it is not an issue. It is only an issue when you want to put the billing in someone elses's name.

Dave

13. mjn298 macrumors regular

I dunno if this applies but I impulse-bought an iPhone 5 from ATT's website and I'll probably return it and they don't charge a restocking fee on apple products returned unopened within 15 days (though I'm not sure if you had to have bought it from ATT in the first place)