Restore Botch Job To SSD from CCC (help plz osx wizards)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaddict44, Jan 10, 2013.

  1. Macaddict44 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    #1
    Hello!

    Ive used CCC a few times to restore drives and transfer data to new drives and I was feelin pretty comfortable about doing it on my 2010 mbp when I got a 840 for Christmas. Being the confident ccc coolguy I am, I thought it would be extra hipster cool to try something out new that I hadn't done before; install a fresh copy of the OS and then use the checkbox for "don't overwrite newer files" to give my sssd a fresh OS and all my old apps and data!

    Herein lies my problem. I accidentally, unwittingly, and unknowningly (at the time) set the computer name on my NEW install on the NEW drive to Mac, and my OLD drive the computer name was set to MacBook.

    WELL, everything works honkey dorey except for 2 little glitches.

    1. My Home icon, when I launch a finder window flashes back and forth between Mac and Macbook every second, while a minor irritation to me visually I feel like its a deeper rooted issue because Im prompted for username/pass much more than before (like when installing an app) and it doesn't seem to remember me because Im presented with 2 blank boxes instead of my user name filled out for me. Its an annoyance for sure.

    2. Preview and Textedit are broken. Ive repaired permissions, and Ive attempted several methods on the interwebs about repair but I just cant get this one resolved. This is more than a minor annoyance.

    This is the part where the groans start....
    All in all I can live with it as is, as these annoyances aren't too much for me to go through the process of re-carbon copying and Ive got my bootcamp partition all cloned over and working great. I would say 75% of my usage is on the Windows side, and the other 25% is osx due to the fact that Im a WinSlave by trade. I really only WoW on the mac side and house by ITunes library -both of which function exceptionally on the newly cloned sssd.

    If someone has a suggestion (in detail because im osx handicapped) about how to resolve the home folder permission debacle Im in PLEASE feel free to talk down to me like a child about my wrongs!

    GOOD DAY
     
  2. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #2
    reinstall, restore from backup? I suspect it will be much quicker than figuring the problem out.

    Set up the reinstall, go watch tv or whatever, then set up the restore, go and do something else....
     
  3. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #3
    I'm going to assume that you're running OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) for this ...

    Did you try reapplying OS X 10.8.2 update to the system?

    (Download the complete update, not the smaller one.)

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581

    When that is complete, do a Software Update, and install any other updates that are found.
     

Share This Page