Restore from iTunes Backup, right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Oct 10, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I have my iPhone 5. I just synced my 4 to iTunes and iCloud for what will probably be the last time *sigh*, so I think I am good with that.

I updated iTunes and I have my 5 connected to my Macbook. So now the phone is asking...Set up as new, Restore from iCloud Backup, Restore from iTunes Backup. I assume resort from iTunes, right?....I always get nervous when I have to do this :confused:

Thanks

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Either would be fine but since you have a Macbook with iTunes just restore from iTunes since it's faster.

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

If you backup your phone to your computer, you restore from iTunes, but please be careful you also need to "Transfer your purchases" i.e. transfer your apps from your iPhone to iTunes too. Backing up to iCloud is easier, you just back up once to iCloud on your phone (Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backup, Turn on iCloud backup. After that just restore from iCloud on your new iPhone and bam! --- you just need to wait for all the things to be downloaded. The only thing you need to get back from your computer is the Music and Video from your computer.

4. Nabby macrumors regular

Depends...

If you backed up your 4 to iTunes, then I'd restore from iTunes. If you have a lot of apps, restoring from the cloud requires them to be downloaded to the device. This is a long process if you have a lot of apps. I did it from the cloud because I had it at work and didn't have access to my iTunes. If I have to do it again, I'll do it from iTunes.

Nabby

5. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I waited for a whole night but when I woke up, all of my apps and photos are there. I grabbed the phone and took it to work, and used it like my old phone - except I forgot to sync my music but I have iTunes match so I streamed music for a day but it ate battery. I sync'ed all my music back to the phone at the next night and it's done.

6. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Thanks everyone! I restored from backup and it did it's thing. It was fairly quick and painless ;)

The apps took the longest, but not a big deal. Everything seemed to sync just fine. Apps, contacts, Music, Pictures, Text msgs. Now I just have to do my Moms on her Windows laptop. I'll do that tomorrow. Hopefully it will go just as well.

I'll probably be selling my 4, so I need to figure out how to restore it to new. Erase All Content and Settings? I'm wondering if I should keep it around as a back up? If I do clear it, I just want to make sure there is absolutely no history on it. Especially text messages.

7. nerylerhome, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

nerylerhome macrumors newbie

It's very straightforward for the restoration. Simply follow these procedures:

1. Simply right-click on the device in iTunes and select "Restore from backup…".

2. You can then select the backup copy you want to restore. Once you select the correct backup copy, hit the "Restore" button and iTunes will restore your iPhone.

That's it. In case you face similar situation as my friend, try to recover the lost data from older backup.

You can choose Myjad iTunes Backup Extractor to restore iPhone from iTunes.

8. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I just got my iPhone 5S today. I backed up my iPhone 4 to iTunes before restoring my iPhone 5S to my last back up on the iPhone 4. Question I have is why does my cellular call time lifetime is same as my iPhone 4 at 2 days and 23 hours.
    Shouldn't it be 0 since I have not used the new iPhone 5S to call anyone yet??

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes and no. You can transfer them from the phone as a way to mass move them. Or just download them from the store. Either works. If you don't do one of them some or all of apps won't be restored by the post restore sync. But you could still download direct to the phone.