Restore from new vs Restore from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. metsjetsfan, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Everyone keeps saying starting fresh is the best, but why would this be the case with the way apps are sandboxed and why would they make it different, are there really some hidden bugs or settings that port over?

I understand that starting from new has other obvious advantages like automatically getting rid of apps that you never used since you only add back the ones you need and also seeing what settings you had. But other than that is there really an advantage? sometimes it seems like a perception that it is better but I can't tell. mostly asking here not declaring one way or the other.

I guess the other last option is DFU restore, which is probably for a diff thread

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

i used back and im doing fine - i would rather have everything as i had it - then start all over - no matter what advantages that might bring

3. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

If you restore from a backup, it will come with its bugs which were created due to the IOS in conflict with an app's code.

If you restore from factory, it won't come with any previous data, which means it's fresh and faster.

I personally like the 2nd option best.

4. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks but wouldnt you get those bugs anyway if you re installed that app?

----------

Is this factually correct, I kinda believe you but not 100% sure. is there a link?

5. Calltrex macrumors newbie

Anyone use cloud to backup and restore on new phone?

Can u just transfer the essential's like contacts, emails, texts ???

6. mkaen macrumors regular

This is just an oft-repeated superstition. iCloud backup/restore exists for a reason. Use it.

7. egonpax macrumors 6502

There are also people talking about terrible battery life after a restore. I had the same problem previously when moving from the 3GS to the 4.
    I like the fresh install the best. I did however try the restore and it seems ok for now. I can always do a fresh later.

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I always worry that my data from my password program will not transfer correctly onto the new phone. Everything else (contacts, calander, Evernote) will just sync easily enough.

The password program however is local only.

9. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

This is the 4th iPhone that I've restored from backup at upgrade time and will restore one more next month. Each has been pristine and without faults. :cool:

That said, each iPhone (from which backup was made) was in excellent form and had no problems to carry over.

10. mkaen, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

mkaen macrumors regular

11. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Did a restore from backup, and seems fine so far. I had to manually redo all my music since I don't sync to iTunes for that, since me and my wife load our phones differently. Losing all my playlists created on the phone is a HUGE hassle. Otherwise, battery seems great so far, been playing with the new toy a lot, and the battery seems to be holding up really well.

12. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

This is another thing i wonder about. Does the battery cycle thing really work and improve batt life? Or is this perception as well. I guess its just the reading of the batt level not the actual battery itself.

13. Chedd macrumors member

I'm considering restarting mine from scratch. For some reason iTunes (under my associated devices) is reading that my iPhone 5 is an iPhone 4s; mind you, I've never owned a 4s and my backup install was from an iPhone 4... Anyone?

14. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Does the picture show the 5? U can tell from the extra row of icons

15. wookiee2cu macrumors member

If your previous iPhone was jailbroken then you are probably better off doing a fresh install. I didn't even think about it and did a restore from back up (my iPhone 4 was jailbroken). For the most part everything seems fine but the battery seems to be draining rather fast so I'm going to do a restore and set it up as a new device and see if that improves it. I went through settings and turned off wifi, bluetooth, lowered brightness, turned off all but 3 notifications, mail is once every 30 minutes so there isn't a ton of stuff going on in the background. Worst case I rule out the JB back up as a cause for the battery. I am on LTE so maybe that is a reason it is draining a little faster, it's only been live in the Seattle area for less than a week so I have no experience/history with it and whats typical for battery drainage.

16. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Checking the number of rows in the picture of the iPhone is the clue, as mentioned above. iTunes doesn't automatically rename your iPhone. The name of mine didn't change at all. Click on the name of your device in the iTunes list on the left side and rename your iPhone to what you'd like. Then backup your device and the name change carries over to everywhere. Mine was called My Name's iPhone before and I just added the 5 to the name. :)

17. egonpax macrumors 6502

Interesting. However, I used my phone for a few months and the battery still sucked. I then did a restore as new and it was much better. So while the battery/electrons point might have been valid, it was not the main reason as to why my phone's battery was terrible.