All iPads Restore iPod backup to iPad loses all photos and all text messages. Really?!?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WolfSnap, Nov 26, 2013.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

So I bought my daughter an iPad Mini to replace her old iPod Touch. I went to restore the iPod backup, and everything worked fine EXCEPT none of her text messages or her photos came back.

Is this normal? Is there a way to recover and transfer the text messages with attachments AND the photostream/camera roll?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

from apple:

i would guess text messages work similarly.

3. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Photos are only kept in the cloud for 30 days according to the support page. If you didn't sync your photos/device before that 30 days is up that would explain why they are not showing up. It took me awhile to figure it out when I would get a new device and not all of my photos would show up. I have had better luck using photo transfer and working with iphoto than I have with photo stream.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

that sounds right. i got burned by this myself on dropbox. when i first signed up i didn't realize that a "shared folder" meant exactly that and that when my mom deleted all the photos i shared with her, they were deleting on my DB account as well!

30 day policy is pretty standard for cloud services.
    The NAS box i made at work only saves 2 weeks so i think 30 days is fair. It's just a bummer when people don't know:(

5. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can always un-delete photos from Dropbox though. Also, if you pay for the packrat feature, you can undelete stuff forever.

Oh, also, my dropbox is also backed up via. Time Machine; so, someone deletes stuff from Dropbox, I can always grab it from backup.

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

that's true - but at the time i had no paid DB account so after 30 days your files are gone.

and you are very wise to add dropbox to your time machine - i started doing that myself soon after I lost files on DB.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the reality is Dropbox treats the term "shared" the way it actually should be used, not the way we have come to use it on a network.

If you and I shared and office and we had a shared manila folder of files. well guess what, if you took a file out and shredded it or otherwise altered it, that would be that!

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If I understand how "shared" folders work on a network, if this had been a shared folder on a network, then your mom wouldn't have been able to delete the photos in the first place because she wouldn't have permission -- am I right?

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

generally, yes. you can grant read/write permission obviously but if you just share a drive on your network, usually it's read only.

Dropbox basically makes it like you both own that folder and can do whatever you want with it.