restore to 3.1.3 and unlock 2G iPhone with iTunes 9.1.1? EDIT: it worked :)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dr_Maybe, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

This guide says you can restore an iPhone 2G to iPhone firmware 3.1.3
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4255
    and unlock it. The date says February 2010 though. So iTunes 9.1.1 was not out. Does it work with iTunes 9.1.1 ? If it doesn't work is there a chance another method could be used?

The worst thing is if the baseband is updated to a version that cannot be unlocked. Unlock is a requirement! Otherwise it's almost only good as a paperweight in this case.

EDIT: it worked, see my reply a few posts down.

2. smashedagainst macrumors newbie

I just jailbroke my 3G with spirit and now I'm going to help a co-worker with her original iPhone (2G). Since she is on T-Mobile, I think we are both in the same situation.

After reading that article and what I read for my own 3G, I am worried about putting 3.1.3 firmware on the 2G. And their example shows the 3.1.1 7D11 version. Hmmmmmm...

3. dav macrumors 6502

2G will always be unlockable so there is no reason to worry.

4. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

OK, I did it, and it worked. iTunes 9.1.1, iPhone OS 3.1.3. It's unlocked. :)

I started with iPhone unlocking/hacking just after the 2007 came out, by making a custom SIM card :) As I've experienced before with iPhone hacks it doesn't always work like in the tutorial. We put the ispw and bootloader files in a folder as suggested.

One problem was that the download links to the bootloader files didn't work. So we searched for them on google and found them somewhere else. Put them in the folder with the other files.

And we didn't have to browse for the ispw file since PwnageTool found it automatically and showed up under the "browse" button. So we just clicked it. And later PwnageTool didn't ask for the location of the bootloader files (the files names are something with 3.9 and 4.6) as shown in the tutorial (the pink modal-boxes).

I also think tutorial also didn't say that you should shut down iTunes. We had problems getting into DFU mode. Because before upgrading the OS, the iPhone was kind of screwed up after giving it to the new owner and syncing with a new Mac. So I think the thing to do is shutting down iTunes. If iTunes opens before you are in DFU mode, I would shut it down and force quit it if it comes up with a message ("modal box") about the iPhone going into activation mode. That's what I had to do. Then after PwnageTool says that the iPhone is in DFU mode you can do as PwnageTool says and start up iTunes. Then remember to hold down the "alt" button when clicking restore.

Question: We installed OpenSSH as the tutorial showed. It wasn't clear whether installation of OpenSSH was needed to unlock it, so we installed it because OpenSSH was checked in the screenshot. Is it a security risk? Previously I changed the default password on the iPhone. Is this still something you should do on 3.1.3?