iPod Restored iPod 4G, cant find AC adapter, any way I can bypass?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
2,766
26
On the moon.
I restored my iPod 4th Gen, all I have is the USB cable, and the USB adapter got lost somewhere in the move. I know it made it back, but I cant find it anywhere. x.x; I dont own the Firewire cables, is there any way there is something I can maybe plug it into, anything to get it to finish updating the firmware/whatever the hell it does when you restore it? o.o'
 

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
360
1
unfortunately your best bet is to just go to an Apple store or best buy and use one of theirs.
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
Hector said:
all althlon 64 mobo's have usb2, charge it off that.
this isn't about charging i believe.


and i have yet to find a way around finishing an update on an iPod that needs to then connect to AC power before it is finished updating. without going to the wall charger
 

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
360
1
Sharewaredemon said:
Do you have USB 2 on any of your computers?
the 4G iPods require you to plug it into the wall charger after restoring. I have no idea why but you can't use a computer. Just go to the apple store and they will gladly help.
 

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
2,766
26
On the moon.
Heh, I was able to get it working.

I took it to a Radioshack in the mall I work at, and the guy there let me use some kind of 3rd party video docking station, and that worked perfectly.

I'm gonna end up buying a FW cable so I dont have to deal with this bulls*** every time, and plus then my iBook and my Powermac G4 only have USB 1.1.
 

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
762
26
Dallas, Tx
ReanimationLP said:
Heh, I was able to get it working.

I took it to a Radioshack in the mall I work at, and the guy there let me use some kind of 3rd party video docking station, and that worked perfectly.

I'm gonna end up buying a FW cable so I dont have to deal with this bulls*** every time, and plus then my iBook and my Powermac G4 only have USB 1.1.
That cable will not fix it unless that is what you need to connect it to the AC adapter. Only a dock that goes to wall power will allow the firmware to reflash after an update, IIRC.
 

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
2,790
0
Florida, USA
Superdrive said:
That cable will not fix it unless that is what you need to connect it to the AC adapter. Only a dock that goes to wall power will allow the firmware to reflash after an update, IIRC.
If you plug your iPod into a computer with Firewire while the machine is completely off, it will charge the iPod and the iPod will see it as only a charger.
 

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
762
26
Dallas, Tx
crazzyeddie said:
If you plug your iPod into a computer with Firewire while the machine is completely off, it will charge the iPod and the iPod will see it as only a charger.
If the machine is completely off, where does the power come from? :confused:
 

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
860
0
on the sofa
Superdrive said:
If the machine is completely off, where does the power come from? :confused:
Apple original equipment firewire bus provides power when the CPU is off and the computer is still plugged into the wall;)
 

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
762
26
Dallas, Tx
Passante said:
Apple original equipment firewire bus provides power when the CPU is off and the computer is still plugged into the wall;)
:eek: That's very sweet. Laptops too, or just desktops? These computers really are as smart as they look.