Restored to "New" before saving pics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 81Tiger04, Dec 5, 2011.

1. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Yesterday, I restored my iPhone 4s to "new" but did it before I saved some pics I took on Saturday to iPhoto. As a result, I lost all of the pics I had at the time. Is there a way I can retrieve these?

These are really important to me and I would greatly appreciate your help.

2. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

If you had photo stream on then they should be in iPhoto via icloud. If you didn't and you didn't save them prior to restoring then I'm sorry to tell you that they're gone. Sorry! I did this a few times so I know exactly how you feel.

3. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Geez. Does it help any that I have Time Capsule?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Only if you backed up the phone before restoring it.

5. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it backup automatically? How do I get to that backup? Is there more than one to choose from?

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Did you backup before restoring it? If not then you are SOL

7. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

If you backed up the phone before restoring, you can use a program called iPhone Backup Extractor. It will extract all of the photos from your backup if you haven't recovered them already.

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Basically as said.

Unless you did a backup via WiFi or iTunes prior to this, which you said you didn't, or you use the Camera functionality in iCloud then unfortunately you're SOL.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

As others have said, the only way is to get it back is through a back up. Also, what I do sometimes is I import the photos through iPhoto/Aperture for storage so I can edit and export later into a new phone. Only thing is that it'll be in its own album, it would be nice to have an option to place photos in the camera roll.

10. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran my phone down to 0% and then charged it back up to 100%. I then chose to reset to "new". Since it was plugged in during this time, would a backup have been created? Even though I've synced one time since then, is it possible to retrieve that backup?

iPhone Backup Extractor sounds promising!

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

First thing, in iTunes without plugging the phone in, go to Preferences and then Devices, you should see a list of device backups.

If you did not change the name of the phone when you restored as new it is possible your prior backup was overwritten and the photos are gone. The possible exception is if you use Time Machine and it caught the backup before you restored as new -- google search for the location on your hard drive of iphone backups.

If you do have a promising backup (or can pull it from Time Machine) and are on a mac, check out Picturescue

12. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Change the name from what it was before? Or from the default? I can't check now, but I'm pretty sure I changed from the default. However, I may have changed it to what it was when I took the pics. As for Time Machine, it all depends on what time TM backed up.

13. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good news! It looks like I might have a backup that has the pics on it (Preferences > Devices). What do I do now?

14. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate your help.

I purchased Picturesque and was able to recover my pictures. I didn't have a whole lot of time last night, but I did notice that a couple were full-size and at least one was a thumbnail - any idea why?