Restoring factory settings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adondeeres, Mar 12, 2012.

1. adondeeres macrumors newbie

What's the best way I can restore my iPhone to factory settings, install iOS 4.3.3 while keeping my baseband at 05.12.01 so it can still be unlocked?

I have a 3GS, iOS 3.1.3 with baseband 05.12.01. I don't have an SHSH for 3.1.3, only 4.0 and above. If I restore with stock firmware 3.1.3, will the baseband be upgraded?

Because of current battery issues with iOS 5, my goal is to upgrade to iOS 4.3.3 for now. I need factory settings because my phone is getting corrupt from so many apps.

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

You need to save your SSH Blobs with tiny umbrella

3. adondeeres thread starter macrumors newbie

I have SHSH for most updates above 3.1.3 including 4.3.3. Any suggestions for my goals up above?

4. satchow macrumors 6502

Use something like sn0wbreeze or pwnagetool (both may be misspelled, I don't keep up with cool internet kids language anymore) to create a modified 4.3.3 ipsw (make sure you have SHSHs for 4.3.3). With a modified .ipsw you can upgrade the device without touching the baseband.

Use redsn0w to put your phone into 'pwned DFU mode'. After it's in this mode, open iTunes and shift-click the restore button and choose your modified .ipsw and restore that way.

5. adondeeres thread starter macrumors newbie

Will going thru the steps you outlined simply upgrade and allow me to keep my iphone as is or will it upgrade and also restore everything to factory defaults? I was planning on doing just what you said with redsn0w, but was under the impression that it would only upgrade and not delete everything I currently have installed.

6. satchow macrumors 6502

Before doing anything, go to iTunes, right click on your device and back it up. After restoring the custom ipsw, you can go back into iTunes, right click it and "restore from backup" and it will put all your apps and settings back.

7. adondeeres thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to confirm, do I need SHSH blob if I am just upgrading to an unsupported firmware?