Restoring from iCloud backup to iPhone 5 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caesarp, Oct 5, 2012.

1. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Question on restoring from iCloud backup. Due to scuffing/nicks I will be receiving a replacement iPhone 5, and want to be prepared when I do receive the replacement.

When restoring from iCloud back-up (my original iPhone 5 was created as new and is backed-up to iCloud nightly), is everything restored EXACTLY as it was before? In other words, all Apps, all settings, email accounts, etc.? Will progress in games be restored too? What about emails and imessages retained on the device?

Will all APPs be organized the same way they are now (in folders or not, same order, etc.)?

If not, what will be different?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

everything will be the same, but I think progress in games gets erased...not 100% sure on that though. texts, emails, call log, pics, settings, everything else will be EXACTLY the same :)

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Everything will be restored as it was at the time of the backup. Essentially nothing will be different.

Pictures, game-scores, apps will redownload and will still have all the saves. SMS and iMessages will still be there as will emails.

It'll just be annoying waiting for everything to sync (Especially if you recorded lots of videos)

I restored my wife's phone which has a year of pictures and videos plus some very important to her high scores for bookworm... it all came back.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yikes....I can only imagine the time that took. I always take my pictures off my phone weekly and my backups take about 5 mins

5. L-Tuned macrumors regular

Not 100% for me

That's what I thought too but it didn't restored my photos 100%.. probably 90% only.. yes I did backup on iCloud couple days before I restoring on the 5. It seems like it selectively restore the photos cause some photos was taken couple months ago.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I wonder if the backup did not fully restore?

7. L-Tuned macrumors regular

Possible. but I am not gonna reset it and do the restore again lol it took all nighter (10 hours) to restore everything.

8. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I had a friend who did this last week. He set up his WiFi and left his phone plugged in and it took about 1 hours to restore everything.

To be safe I would turn off cellular to make sure it can't jump from WiFi to cellular in case something happen to the WiFi connection, but that is up to you!

All should be restored perfectly, his was.

9. L-Tuned macrumors regular

Mine was plugged in and cellular off as well.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It doesn't restore over cellular, you have to be on wifi

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. My friend said a good bit of his stuff was restored to his replacement iPhone while leaving the apple store and walking back to his car. His WiFi was OFF:cool:

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It will just hang if you leave a wifi area...

13. iEs macrumors regular

iEs

For games you need to turn on "document & data" on in the iCloud section

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I did an iCloud restore from my 4s to my new 5 in the store, and left the store with my phone completely intact.

15. KandyKane macrumors 6502

My photos took over a week to fully download. I could use my phone as per normal, and it resumed each time I was in wifi, but battery drain was huge.

16. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

His WiFi was OFF! Never on. NOT connected to WiFi.:rolleyes:

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Were you with him? If not, he lied to you :p