Restoring from iCloud backup to iPhone 5 questions

caesarp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Question on restoring from iCloud backup. Due to scuffing/nicks I will be receiving a replacement iPhone 5, and want to be prepared when I do receive the replacement.

When restoring from iCloud back-up (my original iPhone 5 was created as new and is backed-up to iCloud nightly), is everything restored EXACTLY as it was before? In other words, all Apps, all settings, email accounts, etc.? Will progress in games be restored too? What about emails and imessages retained on the device?

Will all APPs be organized the same way they are now (in folders or not, same order, etc.)?

If not, what will be different?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
everything will be the same, but I think progress in games gets erased...not 100% sure on that though. texts, emails, call log, pics, settings, everything else will be EXACTLY the same :)

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Everything will be restored as it was at the time of the backup. Essentially nothing will be different.

Pictures, game-scores, apps will redownload and will still have all the saves. SMS and iMessages will still be there as will emails.

It'll just be annoying waiting for everything to sync (Especially if you recorded lots of videos)

I restored my wife's phone which has a year of pictures and videos plus some very important to her high scores for bookworm... it all came back.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Everything will be restored as it was at the time of the backup. Essentially nothing will be different.

Pictures, game-scores, apps will redownload and will still have all the saves. SMS and iMessages will still be there as will emails.

It'll just be annoying waiting for everything to sync (Especially if you recorded lots of videos)

I restored my wife's phone which has a year of pictures and videos plus some very important to her high scores for bookworm... it all came back.
yikes....I can only imagine the time that took. I always take my pictures off my phone weekly and my backups take about 5 mins

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Not 100% for me

That's what I thought too but it didn't restored my photos 100%.. probably 90% only.. yes I did backup on iCloud couple days before I restoring on the 5. It seems like it selectively restore the photos cause some photos was taken couple months ago.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's what I thought too but it didn't restored my photos 100%.. probably 90% only.. yes I did backup on iCloud couple days before I restoring on the 5. It seems like it selectively restore the photos cause some photos was taken couple months ago.
I wonder if the backup did not fully restore?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I had a friend who did this last week. He set up his WiFi and left his phone plugged in and it took about 1 hours to restore everything.

To be safe I would turn off cellular to make sure it can't jump from WiFi to cellular in case something happen to the WiFi connection, but that is up to you!

All should be restored perfectly, his was.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
I had a friend who did this last week. He set up his WiFi and left his phone plugged in and it took about 1 hours to restore everything.

To be safe I would turn off cellular to make sure it can't jump from WiFi to cellular in case something happen to the WiFi connection, but that is up to you!

Mine was plugged in and cellular off as well.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

It doesn't restore over cellular, you have to be on wifi

iEs

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Safari
Question on restoring from iCloud backup. Due to scuffing/nicks I will be receiving a replacement iPhone 5, and want to be prepared when I do receive the replacement.

When restoring from iCloud back-up (my original iPhone 5 was created as new and is backed-up to iCloud nightly), is everything restored EXACTLY as it was before? In other words, all Apps, all settings, email accounts, etc.? Will progress in games be restored too? What about emails and imessages retained on the device?

Will all APPs be organized the same way they are now (in folders or not, same order, etc.)?

If not, what will be different?
For games you need to turn on "document & data" on in the iCloud section

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
Possible. but I am not gonna reset it and do the restore again lol it took all nighter (10 hours) to restore everything.
My photos took over a week to fully download. I could use my phone as per normal, and it resumed each time I was in wifi, but battery drain was huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.