Restoring iphone 5 from 4S backup? How long?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmichalec, Sep 22, 2012.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Started a restore from backup last night on my new iPhone 5 64GB from a backup of the 4S 64GB. The 4S only had about 30 GB of pics/movies/etc on it at the time of back up. I kicked off the backup at 10pm last night. I checked this morning at 7am, and it's still restoring. It had made it through the actual system restore, and was now restoring the apps, but at a speed of maybe 1 app every 5 minutes. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be because my 4S was jailbroken and the 5 obviously isn't?

Just curious as to what everyone else is experiencing. :confused:

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's very long. My 16gb iPhone 4 -> iphone 5 (32gb) took about 15 minutes and I had the iPhone 4 filled to the brim.

Are you restoring it from iCloud or iTunes?

3. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Via iTunes with the new cable. Not via iCloud, and not over WiFi or anything like that. Actually, don't think you can do a restore over Wifi, so that couldn't be it. But it's running at the speed it kind of does when you are doing a Wifi sync.

Was your 4S jailbroken or stock that you restored the backup from?

4. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Strange. I stopped the sync, and started again. Same thing. So I stopped the sync, rebooted my iPhone and PC, and then tried again, and now it's flying. Not sure where the problem was, but it seems to fixed itself.