Restoring my 3.1.2 JB 3gs, but have 3.1.3 SHSH on file with Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shingad, Jul 1, 2010.

1. shingad macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

First the boring backstory:
    It's been so long since I have played with an iPhone as i have lost some interest in it. But now my father who owned a 3gs, which I had jailbroken when it still had 3.1.2 but the 3.1.3 was the official OS out at the moment, has bought the iphone 4. He is giving his 3gs to my sister now who wants a clean install of it.

My nooby question:
    She does not care for the 4.0 iOS, so I will not need to give her that. I also know that the 3.1.2 was an awesome version for the 3gs that it did not need to be a tethered jailbreak. So, how do I go about restoring the 3gs with the 3.1.3 SHSH on file since its the only one I can do? And how is the jailbreak for it when I do restore it to 3.1.3?

I would like for her to end up with a clean 3.1.3. jailbroken (tethered or untethered it doesnt matter =\)

Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need to first find a computer with iTunes 9.1.1 or lower. Then add the line "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" without quotes to the hosts file on the computer. (Google if you don't know how). Then find the 3Gs 3.1.3 firmware, plug in the 3Gs and click the Restore button while holding down Shift (in Windows) or Option (in Mac) and navigate to the 3.1.3 firmware. Once the 3Gs is done restoring use Spirit for an untethered jailbreak.

3. shingad thread starter macrumors newbie

omg thank you so much for the fast and detailed response lol.

And one thing, I used geohots blackra1n back then to jailbreak that 3gs, what is this spirit that everyone keeps talking about?

Thanks so much again.

EDIT: Oh, and to make it easier, can I just use blackra1n again on the 3.1.3 anyways? Even if tethered she never turns her phone off.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. oren1 macrumors member

Tethered/untethered has nothing to do with firmware but with the bootrom.
    Even if you have the new bootrom, you can install spirit on 3.1.3, and have an untethered jb.
    That's of course if you really have shsh on file... If you do not have them you can only restore to iOS4, which can't be jb right now, or stay with 3.1.2.

By the way, there is no real difference between 3.1.3 and 3.1.2.

6. shingad thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah my dad bought the iphone RIGHT when 3.1.3 was official, but the one that came in had 3.1.2. So at the time I was into iphones so the first thing I did after jailbreak was save the SHSH file onto cydia.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not restore to custom 4.0 IPSW created with pwnage.
    Assuming he doesnt have a tethered JB now on 3.1.2

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because his sister doesn't want it and he most likely has the newer bootrom.

9. shingad thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a tethered JB on the 3.1.2 atm. And it's okay, I dont want to have to stress looking into doing the custom 4.0. Its being handed down to my sister, who only needs the phone, text message, and APPS.
    EDIT: Intell's got me spot on ^

hah, sorry, edited.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I try to get things right on.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, with the tethered JB on the new bootrom you have no choice anyway.
    You cant update to custom 4.0
    You can though update to 3.1.3 like mentioned above and you wont have to worry about a tethered JB any more with spirit.

12. shingad thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick question, I read up on another guide and it stated to use this IP. (via the iHackintosh tutorial)

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Whats the difference between the two?

Regards,
    K

EDIT: Nvm, all restored! But I am still curious as what the difference is between those two IPs.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats the hosts redirect so you can use cydias server to downgrade if you have saved shshs.