Restoring My Brand New MBP to Factory Defaults::Couple of ?'s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saladsamurai, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Ok! I migrated my old MBP to my new one last night. Everything was good except that I could not log onto my schools network. I have had this problem since my old MBP. I figured that by migrating my 'Preferences' I migrated the problem along with. After many attempts at many work-arounds, I decided that I will just start fresh.

Here is what I have done:

1) I popped in the factory disc and held 'C'
    2) Utility ->Disk Utility ->Erase. I selected the Hard drive. The one in the top of the hierarchy. This also cleared the name of 'Macintosh HD' to 'Untitled'.

Question 1: Now I did not realize that I was supposed to rename my hard drive "before" clicking erase. This is not a big deal, but was just wondering if i will be able to change that later?

Question 2: Do you think that when i go to use magration assistent this next time, if I only opt to migrate "Files and Folders" and "Applications" this will most likely solve my network configurations problem? That is, it will leave my network settings at the factory defaults so I start fresh?

Thanks a bunch!

(And yes! I did do a backup before doing this :) )

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Yes, via Finder and GET INFO it is possible to rename any of your volumes and partitions as often as you want.

2. You can always reset your network setup.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Question 1: Correct way to this this. Great job on the backup too! You can always rename it once booted into OS X by clicking on the hard drive icon on your desktop until it is highlighted in the default light blue (not the dark blue after one click) A typing cursor will appear, and you can now rename it to what you wish. If you hard drive is not there, go to finder prefrences from the top menu and click show Hard Drives on the desktop.

Question 2: It *should* leave your network settings alone, but not if you have an application that is set to configure them, such as a linksys router manager app. If you have something like that, it might change your settings for the worse. If you know that's not the problem, go ahead and do it. You can always manually reset all your network settings.

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice folks!

1 one more question:

After the install, I migrated everything (minus my preferences) from the old MBP (see sig for age). This means that all the 'older' versions of stuff like iPhoto, Garageband, etc.. moved onto my new MBP. When I use the 2nd factory disk to install the "bundled software" will this take care of that? That is, will it overwrite the older editions with the newer ones?

Wish I saw this coming so i could have asked you before migrating :eek: But this is the best way to learn!