Restricted NFC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahdickter, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

As much as we all want NFC in the next iPhone, isn't there a very real possibility that carriers will disable the feature like they did with tethering, or cellular FaceTime?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It doesn't use their network so I don't see how. That would be like them blocking the camera or wifi or something.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Got news for you, they are already doing it. The S3 has NFC capabilities out the wazoo, but there is no way to pay for anything with your phone yet. Goggle has google wallet for the nexus, but it doesn't work outside of that phone.
    The carriers are creating Isis, which will be their 'paypass' system.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

NFC is completely independent of any carrier use. It's an additional chip that does near field positive device identification.

The app that validates your ability to pay looks like any other app to the carrier.

5. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

Although it is independent of "carrier use" it looks like they still want control over it: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/where-is-nfc-for-the-galaxy-note-20120214/

6. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

The Google Wallet issue isn't related to the carrier. That is Google's doing. There is a fix you can do to enable it on the GS3 (though it's ridiculous you have to do that). Google doesn't seem to be interested in seeing Google Wallet succeed.

7. chestvrg macrumors 65816

All I got to say is our greedy American corporate carriers...but remember, Apple (the iPhone) has a lot of cloud over the super telecoms and there is little they can do to enforce restriction of software, worse hardware on iPhone devices.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

That so called fix isn't much of a fix, since a lot of people can't get it to work, not to mention it's a pia. And you are right. Google doesn't appear to want to compete with the carriers. I don't really care who implements NFC (Apple, Gogle, AT&T, whomever), I just want to get to the point where I no longer need my wallet. At this point in time, I should not need car keys, house keys, credit cards or id's filling up my pockets. When I go to a hotel or gas station my phone will be my pass key for opening doors and pumping fuel. Only thing I should need to carry is my phone.

9. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

The fix isn't that hard, and it does work, but that's beside the point. People shouldn't even be having to do that at all. It really is stupid that they even have to do a workaround to begin with. Google should be trying to get as many people on Google Wallet as possible. I'm with you, I don't care who does it, just get it mainstream already.

10. cookinghusband macrumors newbie

Can a phone from Japan or Korea with NFC work on US network

Both the Notes and Sony phone works with NFC in asia

11. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

In theory they should work if they weren't bought from AT&T directly. AT&T simply had NFC functionality removed from their version of the Galaxy Note as a software patch.