Restricting call access on overseas trip? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mecmecmec, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mecmecmec macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am planning a 3 week trip to Greece with my family and some friends. I have an AT&T iPhone on a family share plan. After talking to AT&T it sounds like I can buy a travel plan, which I plan to do. Here is my question:

I want to restrict call access from work. In other words, I don't want to receive CALLS from work. Nor do I want to receive calls from customers they may (and likely will) give my number to (and no, asking won't work). I am planning on checking and responding to emails via a wifi connected iPad. The kicker is that I want to be able communicate with my family while there for emergencies, etc. They also have iPhones.

Any options for turning cellular off and gaining call function via an app? If not, what are my options for achieving the aforementioned goal?

Thanks for the help!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you can either choose just to not answer their calls or maybe put it in do not disturb mode and specify their numbers as the only ones to allow.

easiest thing would be to all get pre-paid SIM cards with local numbers. that way, the only people that will call you, are the people in your travel group that has the local number. no one stateside can call, unless you give them the number. plus you wont incur roaming charges and may even get cheap data plan attached.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Careful about not answering calls if you use your AT&T sim, unless you have AT&T disable voicemail before you leave. Otherwise, when someone calls you and you ignore it, YOU get charged international rates when that caller gets forwarded to voicemail.

4. Mecmecmec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

The prepaid sims are an intriguing option!

That's what I was worried about - if they call, you get charged. I thought for sure there would be an app.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

google what carriers are in greece, and then visit their websites to see what your pre-paid SIM options are. carriers usually have that info for people visiting. once you choose a plan thats right for you, and as long as your phone is unlocked, once you land in greece goto a kiosk at the airport and get the SIM.

6. Baggio macrumors 6502

Make sure your phone is unlocked before you decide on doing a prepaid SIM overseas.

7. Mecmecmec thread starter macrumors newbie

Darn, I wasn't thinking - my phone isn't unlocked.

8. takeshi74, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Details are on at&t's site:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp

An app won't help. If your device is roaming internationally then it's active on the local carrier's network. Plus international data roaming charges (if you're thinking of using VOIP) are very expensive. No app is going to alter how the carrier's voice network works so an app can't prevent or allow inbound calls in the manner you're thinking of. Apps run on your device -- not the carrier's network. By the time the call reaches the app you're already being billed for the call.

Your best bet is to use a local SIM.

9. The Green Mac macrumors member

What about this?

Turn on call forwarding and forward all calls to your Google Voice number. Then turn on 'Do not disturb' on your Google Voice account, so all calls go to voicemail, and you can get your messages when you have WiFi.

Will this work?