Resume and auto-save more of a pain than they're worth?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ConnorCG, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ConnorCG macrumors member

Jan 18, 2011
    I spent the last two or three months using Lion as my only OS, and I found the Resume feature way more annoying than useful. I purposely have nothing set to open on startup so that I can get right to work, and then when I get a minute or two I can open up things like Mail and iTunes. I don't want to have to wait five minutes before I can do anything, and have my computer wildly switching spaces on its own the whole time. I also cannot stand the save-state feature on things like TextEdit. All it does is get in the way. If I want to quickly modify a text file in TextEdit, I have to wait for it to open up the last things that I purposefully didn't save, just so that I can close them again. Maybe it's just me, but these features are more an annoyance than anything.

Also, do almost all built-in apps seem to be unresponsive to you guys? Seems like Preview is almost unusable. I'm using a mid-'09 2.57GHz MBP, so none of this is a lack of performance from the hardware.

What do you think of these features. I know it's a little late to be asking that question, but whatever.
  2. legendzm macrumors member

Apr 8, 2010

HATE resume and HATE versions

Resume can be turned off from preferences (general) uncheck the resume box

but i hate how on reboot the "reopen the same windows' is always checked, instead of saving state being unchecked when i last rebooted.

Versions I can't find how to disable, but Under time machine settings there is a new item "Lock documents [time selectable] after last edit - prevents accidental changes in applications that support Auto Save -- i'm trying to figure out what that means exactly....
  3. ConnorCG thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2011
    "This file has been locked because it has not been edited for a while. Would you like to unlock it?" No, I opened it just to close it immediately. Why would I want to edit a file I opened? :confused: