Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConnorCG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I spent the last two or three months using Lion as my only OS, and I found the Resume feature way more annoying than useful. I purposely have nothing set to open on startup so that I can get right to work, and then when I get a minute or two I can open up things like Mail and iTunes. I don't want to have to wait five minutes before I can do anything, and have my computer wildly switching spaces on its own the whole time. I also cannot stand the save-state feature on things like TextEdit. All it does is get in the way. If I want to quickly modify a text file in TextEdit, I have to wait for it to open up the last things that I purposefully didn't save, just so that I can close them again. Maybe it's just me, but these features are more an annoyance than anything.

Also, do almost all built-in apps seem to be unresponsive to you guys? Seems like Preview is almost unusable. I'm using a mid-'09 2.57GHz MBP, so none of this is a lack of performance from the hardware.

What do you think of these features. I know it's a little late to be asking that question, but whatever.

legendzm

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I spent the last two or three months using Lion as my only OS, and I found the Resume feature way more annoying than useful. I purposely have nothing set to open on startup so that I can get right to work, and then when I get a minute or two I can open up things like Mail and iTunes. I don't want to have to wait five minutes before I can do anything, and have my computer wildly switching spaces on its own the whole time. I also cannot stand the save-state feature on things like TextEdit. All it does is get in the way. If I want to quickly modify a text file in TextEdit, I have to wait for it to open up the last things that I purposefully didn't save, just so that I can close them again. Maybe it's just me, but these features are more an annoyance than anything.

Also, do almost all built-in apps seem to be unresponsive to you guys? Seems like Preview is almost unusable. I'm using a mid-'09 2.57GHz MBP, so none of this is a lack of performance from the hardware.

What do you think of these features. I know it's a little late to be asking that question, but whatever.

HATE resume and HATE versions

Resume can be turned off from preferences (general) uncheck the resume box

but i hate how on reboot the "reopen the same windows' is always checked, instead of saving state being unchecked when i last rebooted.

Versions I can't find how to disable, but Under time machine settings there is a new item "Lock documents [time selectable] after last edit - prevents accidental changes in applications that support Auto Save -- i'm trying to figure out what that means exactly....

ConnorCG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
"This file has been locked because it has not been edited for a while. Would you like to unlock it?" No, I opened it just to close it immediately. Why would I want to edit a file I opened? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.