Resvervation Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theturtle, Oct 16, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Asking for a friend. Hes looking to switch to Verizon to get the iphone 5 and will get his phone through the reservation process (apple). Hes going to use his mothers SSN (for credit reasons) to set up the new account but he'll be the one paying the bill. He was wondering, after adding and checking out with his moms info, if he goes to the store the next day to pick it up, will it be required that his mother be present also? because she was the one the SSN used belongs to?

2. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Whose credit card will he be using? Either way, if the account is in her name, then she would have to be there. Think about it. Otherwise, anyone could open an account with someone else's info if Apple didn't check.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I could be wrong but if you are adding a new line or making a new account you will need a primary account holder, since he will be using his mom's SSN, so in this case his mom would need to be present.

4. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah! Alright. Thanks for the quick answers guys. I shall pass that on to him!

5. Geffen macrumors 6502

When i picked up my reserved phone at the Apple store they did ask for my drivers license and they needed to see the card that i paid for the iphone 5 with. So I doubt it will work unless his mother will be in the store with him picking up the iphone 5.

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

To be clear, if I add a line to my parent's family plan and reserve an iPhone at Apple store (my parents live in another state), will it be impossible to pick up even if I'm an authorized user/have ID/SSN of primary account holder?

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes it will be impossible to pick it up even if you are authorized user/have ID/SSN of primary account holder.

Authorized user can upgrade their line(thus they can go pick it up), make changes to the plan but they cannot add a new line at the store. I've tried this and they wouldn't let me and I was turned away because I needed a primary account holder present (rather the primary account holder needed to do that anyways and I was the authorized user)

The only way I could bypass this is by ordering it online and have it shipped to me. When I needed to add a line for my wife, I had to add a new line via AT&T website (I am a authorized user and not a primary), and the website thinks I"m the primary account holder so I have the ability to add a new line from the site.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

When I did the online, it had an optionto add other users.

Meanwhile....

this guy has to use his Moms account.
    and has to use you to do message board.

hmmmm.....

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Hmm I'm referring to adding another line online so all I would have to do is pick it up in store (vs. adding a new line in store). I talked to 2 apple reps online and they said an authorized user is able to do pick it up but representatives can be misleading

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

hmm I think it depends on who you get at the Apple store maybe? I would probably ask them before hand. I'd also ask more than one rep at the store just to clear it up. Let us know.