Retail Apple Store won't let me exchange my 32GB for 64GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orangebluedevil, Oct 20, 2011.

1. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Backstory: I preordered a 32GB Black ATT and received it on launch day. I was out of town so on the way back (on 10/20) I decided I wanted to upgraded the capacity to the 64GB.

What Happened: Before opening the phone I called my local Apple store (Houston) and asked about swapping - no problem they said, as long as it's an Apple.com preorder - which it is. So I go to the store with the phone unopened and wait in line for 20 minutes after talking to the guy at the door - no problem he said, just get in line. I get to the front and the manager says: Nope, can't help me. He says his inventory systems are completely different from the online store and I have to 1) mail my phone back 2) wait 1 day to 1 week for ATT to reinstate my eligibility 3) wait 2 weeks to receive my new phone. Obviously I was not happy and told him so.

Questions/Rant: Has this always been the policy? It seems ridiculous to have such a fragmented system. Why can't I hand them my unopened box, pay the difference, and get a 64GB. Seems so simple. And don't tell me it has to do with AT&T. What are they going to do when I mail it back that they can't do at the store? What's the point of the Apple store then?! (that's a loaded question, but you get my drift) My point is that at a most basic level the Apple Store is meant to be a customer interaction point - which in this case it is not being.

PS: Anyone in Houston want to swap?! It's still in the box while I decide what to do.

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

All you have to do is reserve a 64GB online after 9PM and then swap it out at the store the next day.

3. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the first thing I tried. Apple.com won't let you reserve one when you already have one ordered. The system gives me a popup saying something like "The phone is not available for upgrade." (I would get the exact wording but it's closed for the night).

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

It does deal with AT&T, you used an upgrade, and AT&T has always taken its sweet time to reinstate the upgrade so you can use it again. In my experince that's about 5-10 days.

You can point your finger at Apple all you want, but for those who ordered the right item on day 1, it served as a fine customer interaction point. It is when you need the upgrade reinstated that you'll face the delay.

5. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Did I use my upgrade? I haven't even opened it. Honest question.

Yes, for a customer without a problem the Retail Apple store is a good interaction point. That's a pretty low hurdle wouldn't you say: just don't have a problem = good customer service?

Regardless, I don't understand what is going to take place when I mail it back that can't take place in the Apple store.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Online purchases can't only be swapped online. The manager didn't make that up or anything.

7. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Because the upgrade transaction is tied to the original point of sale, the iPhone has to be returned to the same place. This is one area that all Apple Stores are very consistent on, and it happened to me for the 4S as well, so you aren't alone. But you'll have to return it back to the original POS and then order one online or in store, which is what I ended up doing.

8. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

(I know you meant *can*)

I accept that. I agree it is currently a fact. My question posed was has it always been like that? Doesn't it seem fragmented?

----------

Thanks for posting. I was holding out a sliver of hope that the manager was just wrong. But after the posts above you and yours I see that's not going to happen! Damn!

Did you hear 2 weeks to get it back also? That's the part that sucks. Obviously we all know about the supply restraints - just saying.

Sure wish I would have ordered the right one to start. But I also wish apple store would swap.