Retail Radeon 9000 Pro Soon

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Retail Radeon 9000 Pro Soon

Originally posted by Macrumors
Digit reports that a retail version of ATI's Radeon 9000 Pro card will be available soon:

ATI Mac product manager Stan Ossias told Digit that his company anticipates the release of the Radeon 9000 Mac Edition card within the next few weeks.

Per the article, the retail version will sport the ADC interface.

I don't want the 9000! Bring on the 9700! :D

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
The 9000 should be just what the doctor ordered. Cheap, yet pretty powerful.

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
2 QUESTIONS

1) what is the price likely to be?

2) can the card be used in a 2x AGP system (and if so, what kind of a performance hit would it take)?

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
MacMall had it listed for a few weeks at about $150, but no longer lists it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So anyone know the price of this thing - the PC version of the 9000 is 149 list, which is damn nice. But the mac prices are always higher.

D

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
9000 vs 8500

I wonder which card performs better. Yesterdays high-end or todays low-end.
The 8500 is about $180-200. Which is the better price/performance value.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Re: 9000 vs 8500

Originally posted by iN8
I wonder which card performs better. Yesterdays high-end or todays low-end.
The 8500 is about $180-200. Which is the better price/performance value.
Tom's Hardware has a review of the 9000 in comparison with the 8500. Since the 8500 has more texture channels it is faster on many of the fps games. BUT...

I have one in my new dual 1 GHz and even the 9000 is fantastic. At the resolution my monitor is (LCD 1024x768) I can play all the FPS games out (RTCW, QIII, Max Payne) with every friggin' feature turned on as high as they go. Even with FSAA in UTXp3 turned up to 4, I never went below high 20's while playing, with the average being more in the high 30-50s. If I don't use the FSAA, then the frame rates are even high with the low FPS being in the 60's and usually running around 80's or 90's.

So if the card has enough omph even for my system, its probably going to be more than adequate for most with modest screen sizes as most Mac games are CPU bound anyway. As you get bigger monitor resolutions the values decrease so if you have a 22" you might want to wait for the 9700.

Personally I wouldn't go with the 8500 - there are some 'tweaks' with the 9000 and any driver improvements are going to be for the 9000 to take advantage of rather than the 8500. Its yesterday's child and will only be getting less support, not more, IMHO.

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Like most people who purchased the Apple 17" CRT with ADC, the only options to upgrade the video were Apple's own high end aftermarket cards. Since I have a Gigabit PowerMac (2x AGP), even those were not an "approved" option (they required 4x AGP slots). ATI's recent inclusion of ADC on cards rated for 2x systems is just what I have been waiting for. Just tell me where to sign!

RL

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
Flashable?

Has anyone had any luck flashing the ROM on a PC version of this card to make it work in a mac?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
what about video upgrades on a powerbook

hilow, i was wondering if its at all possible to
upgrade the video card on my tibook. Im
concerned that in the future with osx that
16MB of video ram will eventually cripple
my machine especially if im in photoshop.
If apple keeps adding these GUI goodies my
systems gonna feel like a 7200.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
About flashing the PC version of the card, there are a few things that need to be done.

-First get a PC with an AGP slot
-Next get the Mac bios image for the card
-It is best to try and use the cards made by ATI since people have had the most success with those. But I know it will work on others.
-Put the graphics card in a PC and find a flashing utility. Next flash the card, shut down the PC and put the card in the Mac. Always make sure you back up the current ATI bios.
-If it does not work, all is not lost. Put the ATI card back in the PC with a PCI graphics card. The PC should boot up on the PCI graphics card and the original bios can then be restored.

I tried to get an VIVO Radeon working in a Mac, but since there is no Mac VIVO Radeon bios, it would not work. This process will also work on nvidia cards. I know someone that has got a GigaByte Geforce 4 working in their Mac for a fraction of the cost of the Apple version.

The same proccess also works the other way around, converting Mac cards to PC.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
The 8500 and 9000 are very very similar cards, and in fact as far as Linux is concerned, they are the exact same thing (the 8500 driver will run the 9000, and this was by accident not design). The 8500 has clearly been shown to be faster by PC sites such as Anandtech.

MacMall is offering the 8500 at $179.99. You can bet that the 9000 Pro will cost less.

mWave is offering a PC 64mb 9000 Pro for $95.00. You can bet that the Mac 9000 Pro will cost more.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Re: what about video upgrades on a powerbook

Originally posted by beatle888
hilow, i was wondering if its at all possible to
upgrade the video card on my tibook. Im
concerned that in the future with osx that
16MB of video ram will eventually cripple
my machine especially if im in photoshop.
If apple keeps adding these GUI goodies my
systems gonna feel like a 7200.
Sorry you won't be able to upgrade the video card on your tibook. The video is soldered onto the board for both iBooks and powerbooks.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
MacCentral just posted a story saying that ATI will not be making an All-In-Wonder card anytime soon. Guess that report from ThinkSecret wasn't so accurate. ThinkSecrets report was quoting an employee at ATI. Well, nobody's right all the time. Probably would have been expensive anyway.

The 9000 was supposed to be $149. That's what it was advertised as before. If it's more, you can find some great deals on the 8500, which can be a better card (that's not just opinion BTW). Plus it's got TV-Out. Unless you need ADC, or you're buying a new Tower, then get the 9000. Or the 9700 when it comes out, unless it has TV insted of ADC.

Wonder how much the 9700 will cost?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: 9000 vs 8500

Originally posted by BobVB

Tom's Hardware has a review of the 9000 in comparison with the 8500. Since the 8500 has more texture channels it is faster on many of the fps games. BUT...

I have one in my new dual 1 GHz and even the 9000 is fantastic. At the resolution my monitor is (LCD 1024x768) I can play all the FPS games out (RTCW, QIII, Max Payne) with every friggin' feature turned on as high as they go. Even with FSAA in UTXp3 turned up to 4, I never went below high 20's while playing, with the average being more in the high 30-50s. If I don't use the FSAA, then the frame rates are even high with the low FPS being in the 60's and usually running around 80's or 90's.

So if the card has enough omph even for my system, its probably going to be more than adequate for most with modest screen sizes as most Mac games are CPU bound anyway. As you get bigger monitor resolutions the values decrease so if you have a 22" you might want to wait for the 9700.

Personally I wouldn't go with the 8500 - there are some 'tweaks' with the 9000 and any driver improvements are going to be for the 9000 to take advantage of rather than the 8500. Its yesterday's child and will only be getting less support, not more, IMHO.
Those are the same frame rates I get with my G4MX in my new dual. Obviously the frame rates quoted without AA.

About the drivers they are still creating better drivers for the original Radeon series so don't think just because it's an outdated model that it is no longer supported.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: 2 QUESTIONS

Originally posted by esome
1) what is the price likely to be?

2) can the card be used in a 2x AGP system (and if so, what kind of a performance hit would it take)?

First yes it will run in a 2x AGP bus. Second there is no way it will max out the 2x AGP bus. The ATI9700 is 8x AGP but it will also be backwards compatible down to a 2x AGP. Also the ATI9700 doesn't crank enough data out to saturate the 4x AGP let alone the 8x. Basically they're just adding the new technology to be ready for the future like new PCs with 8x AGP on board.

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
Re: Question

Originally posted by MacKenzie999
Excuse my ignorance, but are these cards of benefit to anyone other than gamers?
Yeah, if you're still runnin' a Rage 128 Pro card like me. Shoots, an original Radeon Mac Edition would be a great improvement over my card.

N8