Rethinking the 17th Amendment: The New Gerrymandering?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Feb 5, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While looking over an article at NPR today, I started thinking about the history of one of the more benign amendments to the Constitution, the 17th. In it, we have some interesting goings on back in the early 20th Century:

http://www.usconstitution.net/constamnotes.html#Am17

Let the People elect the Representatives and Senators; something that Democrats, Republicans, Independents, and 3rd Parties could get behind, right?

I guess not apparently so, as now some Reds, including Ted Cruz, as well as those in the conservative talk/blogosphere want to do away with it, by repealing the 17th Amendment.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpoli...h-amendment-an-old-idea-gets-fresh-opposition

Why would some Republicans and conservative pundits, who are all for small/limited government, want to strip away the rights of the people to choose their elected representatives and leave it to a state legislature (who they may not have voted in favour of) to choose the representative for them? That seems to be the very exact opposite of the political view that they stand for.

BL.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As an aside, Ontario usually votes one way Provincially and another Federally.

I guess that keeps things in check very well.

Sort of .....

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hate to say it but does it matter who elects them, they won't listen to us anyways.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's because the game is rigged from the get-go.

But I don't want to shred the thread, so I'll leave it there.

5. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Because the truth is that they are really not in favor of small or limited government when it comes to the citizenry but want big government controlling every facet of our lives.

The only small government they want is when it comes to corporations and the wealthy.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But those are the "people" that matter in a capitalistic system, so how could they be wrong? ;):p

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Exactly, America is a single party system with fake elections.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

The elections are real, only the candidates are fake.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Part of the problem is that the people don't really care.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just wait 'till they lose their naive complacency. Then the **** will hit the fan.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

For lots of Americans ( not all ), as long as they have their Miller Lite, Jesus, Guns and Duck Dynasty, they are happy.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's the same here. It's the flaw of democracy.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Too much cynicism in this thread. Y'all act like politicians in the US have no fear of the voters, and that we, the voters in the US, have no responsibility for the actions of our government. It's even worse in the UK.

If you do not like the actions of a government, vote the bums out and encourage others to do the same. It's that simple.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

No offense to your country, but having been to the UK many times, it feels exactly like a Mini Me America, esp with the way the people act collectively.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think that's fair. We are pretty similar.

That said I think my point stands generally regardless of country.

----------

All you can ever do is to vote for is the lesser of two evils.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yeah, out of the European countries Ive been to, England is the most Americanized by a pretty huge margin.

And yes, I would agree your point stands as well, the only country Ive been to/lived in that breaks that stereotype is France, people in France seem to care quite a bit ,to the point of random huge scale strikes and public riots ;) Its beautiful