Retina 15" Neoprene sleeve or Molded skin?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ploki macrumors 68000

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Both actually look quite decent. Since you're looking at sleeves / skins, I'm guessing that you're not planning on carrying the notebook around in a business case or some other bag. If so, then although the skin looks nice, I'd rather have a lightweight sleeve. Of course, if you don't mind the extra weight the skin will surely add, then it looks like it could protect the notebook better than the sleeve.

One complaint I have about both ( mainly the skin since well, a sleeve is a sleeve ) is that they don't have a handle that would make carrying the thing around more pleasant ( and not only that... you can even hang it for a moment to do something else than have to lay it on the ground or table or wherever ).

3. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

I generally carry it in my backpack most of the time, but it's not padded so I like some extra bulk around it.

It bothers me that except the Viper Sleeve from Booq none of the sleeves are molded especially for retina mbp, that means they'll have extra space to allow the retina to float around. I hate that

4. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

Acme made

I got this one, Ploki:

http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-Skinny-Sleeve-MacBook-Pro,65,24.htm
    [​IMG]

It's pretty nice: the outside is neoprene and there's a very soft cloth lining inside. Then there's that stretchy band that secures the computer in the sleeve (mine is also black, though, differente from the photo above).

EDIT: It does have a little bit of extra space when used with the Retina, but it's not much at all. And the inside lining is really soft.

Got mine at a brick & mortar Apple Store, and I'm quite happy with it. :)

5. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Incase Sleeve , even though these are made for the standard MBP , I find that the fit is perfect. It is not so snug that I have to fight with the case to put my MBP-R into it , it just slides right in. I bought mine before I bought my MBP-R , as I was still looking at the regular MBP , but chose the MBP-R ( rMBP ) instead.

Here is a link for QVC < $25 + free S/H ! :) >:

http://www.qvc.com/Incase-Neoprene-Plus-Sleeve-Made-for-15--MacBookMacBook-Pro-CasesBags-Accessories-Computers-Electronics.product.E257346.html?sc=E257346-User&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-12-_-E257346&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/e/46/e257346.001?$uslarge$

Later , :)

Gary 

PS:

Sorry , for some reason the above is not a clickable link , just C&P to your browser.

I bought the green , and it is super !!

6. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

unfortunately I'm from europe, can't seem to find exact same model on european bays

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I bought the Incase one for the rMBP and it fits perfectly. The inside is covered with fur and it has a good protection right beneath the zipper so it won't damage the MBP. The outside is quite good as well.. you can feel your MBP is protected by just holding it. I carry my MBP on a backpack as well but I want it to be as protected as possible so I bought the sleeve and am really happy with it.

I'm not telling you which to buy, though. That's your decision to make.

PS: Bought the blue one btw. On Apple Store in Regent Street (London) for £30

PS2: I don't agree with Jedi. Before having this one, I had a Targus slim sleeve for the regular MBP and my rMBP was always dancing around inside the sleeve. It slided in perfectly but it was too big for the rMBP when compared to my new Incase one. I prefer it to be snug. And it doesn't take that long to slide the rMBP inside. The fur kinda helps it moving.

8. MikesGravity macrumors 6502