Retina 5K iMac owners/orderers: Where's yours shipping from?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Crunch, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

So last year's iMac was shipped from within the U.S. (even within Calif.) I thought this was because it was a CTO order, but after getting my shipment confirmation for the new Retina iMac, it says it's coming from China. :eek: even though I did another CTO option.

I forgot to add expedited shipping. Is that the reason why???? I was SO hoping for a delivery before the weekend, but now this 35lb. box is going to get tossed around all over the place.

Last year, I had Expedited shipping and it was here in NO TIME at all!

What happened to "Assembled in the U.S."?????? Man, Imma be peeved if there's anything wrong with it. :mad:

2. jdsmooooth macrumors newbie

China

I added expedited shipping and my 5K iMac is on its way from China. So I don't think that would have made a difference.

3. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Just got word that mine has shipped. Fedex says it should even be here Monday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwe1bu7uo13zitl/Screenshot 2014-10-30 04.35.52.png?dl=0

I am excited and nervous at the same time. Too hot and/or too loud, and it has to go back. Normally I never go with version 1.0 of things. But with the new mini update being a bit disappointing, I decided to look around and figured that if it works and the screen is half what people say it is, then it will be well worth the premium price compared to a mini.

And it is coming from Shanghai.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

You guys seems to be getting super-quick shipping once it's in the country. In NZ, there's no option for expedited shipping. It takes 1-2 days to get from Shanghai to this country, and then a further week for TNT to get its act together and deliver it, sometimes as little as 20 miles from the arrival depot.

I have no idea why Apple use TNT, but I continue to make a formal complaint to Apple every time I buy anything. Not like we have a choice, having no Apple stores here and no choice of shipping method.

5. forg0t macrumors member

Mine was cto and got here within 6 days of ordering from China. A day earlier from fedex's original estimate and a whole 4-5 days earlier from apple's estimate.

But just because it's from China, doesn't mean it's built like crap. I trust the people/robots who assembled my computer as much as I would trust American assemblers.

Maybe even more after dealing with my American made car ;). Luckily the motors German.

6. apfelmann macrumors 6502

Same here. Waited a long time for a "real new mac mini". then tried the retina macbook pro, but wanted a bigger screen ... now waiting for delivery of my retina imac.
    never wanted an imac again, but retina TB display seems to be pretty far away (and a probable 2015 mac mini with enough graphics power even more far away ...) and the retina imac is not overpriced for the power and screen it delivers.
    I hope my long journey for a new mac is finally over soon and the rImac blows me away!

7. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Mine left China yesterday. 12 hour flight. Landed in Memphis just before midnight (EST). Will be in my hands in Raleigh NC in another hour or two (by 10:30am). One day ahead of scheduled delivery. I did pay for expedite.

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It will if it's anything like mine. Still setting it up but nearly there now. 600gb used, had a little go with Minecraft and Civ5 in 5k, also Age of Empires in a little 4k window under Windows 10 (which allows you to choose 5k but crashes if you do). FCPX and Aperture are beautiful (and get the chips warmed up, istat shows in red as they go over 90 but the fan kicks in and drops them back, just noticeable but not loud). For me, the best app is Logic Pro in 5k, which is tremendous. I have some XP apps that run nicely in a tiny window under Parallels. All going swimmingly so far...

9. apfelmann macrumors 6502

Sounds good! I am also looking forward to have some big and crazy sharp workspace in logic pro x!

10. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Thanks, guys. Well, mine seems to be "stuck" in Shanghai for a day now.

And I hear you on the new mini. From Ivy Bridge quad-core CPU's to only DUAL-core Haswell ones? Can't upgrade the RAM?? Really? How lame, but I gave up my mini for the Late-2013 model of this beautiful iMac over a year ago anyway.

As for FedEx, they have delivered a day early here and there in my area as well.

I usually consider anticipation half the fun, but I have buyers for my current iMac lined up and they all want it yesterday. I continue to be amazed at how Macs retain their value.

11. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Mine is 1.5 days to get from Shanghai to Memphis. 4 days to get from Memphis to Massachusetts.

Weird, but it will be here on Monday. I am nervous and excited becasue I cannot have it be loud. I HATE fans.

To much fans and it goes back. Which will suck, but that has to be the way it is. I am ruthless.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Um, ok.

It's a lot of horsepower packed into a small space, so there is going to be some noise. If you must have the absolute least amount of fan noise, then you'll need to buy a MacPro.

Bryan

13. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Speaking of noise, I can't believe how utterly and completely SILENT my current iMac is! I always CTO because I ONLY want high-speed PCIe SSD storage goodness on the inside and I have a Drobo for storage.

It also has the effect of making the iMac a full pound lighter and obviously eliminates any and all noise with the exception of the almost invisible fan that doesn't kick in unless I'm doing something that maxes out the CPU or GPU.

Tracking update: (lol, I know, I know) It's "In transit" in Japan right now. <hit refresh button> Alaska is usually next. <hit refresh button> :cool:

14. macmee Suspended

macmee

China > AK > KY > ON in less than 2 days for me.

15. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I admit I am spoiled by my mini :) I hardly ever do anything that pushes the computer. If I do, it is OK for fan to spin up. But if I do not do anything more than surf and email, I expect quiet.

After all, this is 2014. And engineers should know how to make a quiet computer by now. No excuses.

And if they would make a version of mPro that was fit for actual humans with one CPU and one video card, I would happily buy that for say, $1300+

16. Penman61 macrumors member

(Just posted this in another thread, but this one seems more apt.)

Am I reading this tracking right?

China > Oakland > Japan :eek: (I live 70 miles from Oakland.)

Attached Files:

17. macmee Suspended

macmee

When I got mine, by the way, UPS reported this:

"The service selected is not available to this destination address. This has delayed delivery. / The service has been changed and the delivery is being rescheduled."

I had paid for express shipping, I'm not sure if that's what I got but it arrived.

18. Crunch, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Oh boy, so mine went from Japan to Oakland, so I thought ok cool, maybe I'll get it a day early. Now, it went from Oakland, CA to Memphis, TN, and immediately departed back to CA.

Yea, so let's get that baby bumped around in 3 different countries and all over the U.S., back and forth. I can't WAIT to see how this turns out.

EDIT: Swwweeeeeeeeet! I can't believe it, but it just scanned in L.A. I should definitely get it on Monday now. :D