Retina Aperture on a 1680x1050 monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darthmental, Jun 19, 2012.

1. darthmental macrumors newbie

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole Retina scaling etc. and I was wondering if there are issues with displaying a retina-ized program on a normal external display....like my normal 1680x1050 monitor.

My rMBP is on order, and I'm trying to figure things out to see if I want to keep it.

Thanks in advance.

2. djmoody, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

djmoody macrumors regular

Why do people make all these impulse buys, Where they don't even know if they want to keep it or not. All it does is slow down the shipping process for those with enough sense to truly decide if we wanted it or not.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Why do people post unhelpful, snarky remarks?It just gets in the way of people who actually have questions that they'd like to have answered. :rolleyes:

4. darthmental thread starter macrumors newbie

Truthfully, I was totally set on the unit, hence I ordered it. After reading all the comments about the scaling etc, it has made me waver on my decision. I'm sorry that my indecision has really affected your life so much. I know getting this computer is life or death for you and you can't wait to get one. I'll try to be more considerate of you in the future.

I have 3-4 weeks to decide, plus 14 days after that....I plan to use the time that I'm entitled to.

I was hoping for helpful answer and not comment like that. Oh well lol I'm new around here and I hope this isn't indicative of this community.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apps on the external display should look as they did before.

Some people have posted that they had issues with some adapters (specifically dual-link DVI adapters) and getting the correct resolution on their external displays, so there's probably a software update coming to improve that.

You shouldn't need the dual-link DVI adapter for 1680x1050 anyway so that probably doesn't apply in your case.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I beg to differ. Apps on my external display (Dell U2410, 1920x1200, yes the resolution on the rMBP is set correctly) look like crap when it's hooked up to my rMBP. I've tried it with mDP->DP and HDMI->HDMI and they're blurry, it's especially noticeable with text. It's bad enough that I'll be picking up a non-retina MBP on my way home from work and compare, and if it is indeed a problem with the rMBP, I'll return it.

I have a feeling Lion is trying to do some sort of scaling across both displays rather than just the retina display.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I did say should ;)

I haven't seen any other users complain about this with their external monitors (just the issue about not getting the right resolution options). May just be a bug with the RMBP and your specific monitor?

8. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

On your external monitor, things will be just like before. At one point when you have external monitors with higher resolution I'm sure you'll be able to get pixel doubling on them too but not right now (there's a few available, but I don't know if you would be able to set them in Retina mode...I'm guessing you could)

9. sdtaco macrumors newbie

I would say about half the community is like this, as like most forums. Lots of great info and lots of posts that are irrelevant.

Hope you find your answer. I am interested in the same.

10. darthmental thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers peeps. much appreciated. I look forward to getting the rMBP and take it for a spin. It's been awhile since I've use a Mac and it's nice to be back.