Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
If you visit the iTunes App store, there is a section entitled Great Apps for the New iPad. It looks like the rumors of retina apps requiring a lot more space will most likely be false. Check out the sizes of some of these graphic intensive games. As you can see, they are just about the same as their iPhone counterparts.

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-15%20at%208.09.53%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202012-03-15%20at%208.10.13%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202012-03-15%20at%208.10.37%20PM.png

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
3 apps not being much bigger isn't proof. 2 of them aren't even designed for the A5X, no?

DopeyFish

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Ok... Anything that uses 2D assets to a large degree... Those will be the ones with the largest change.

3D titles will benefit from the change right away with little work, but 2D titles (with 2D animation especially) is a whole other matter

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yep, it's far too early in the game to make a definitive judgement on this..But I fully expect Sketchbook pro...which I will buy tomorrow after I've set up my newbie, and photo apps AND HD games to be bigger...They have to be to take advantage of the retina display...We are not talking about a screen "Tweak" here, it's a doubling. Not saying apps will be twice as big but larger for sure IMO.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
3 apps not being much bigger isn't proof. 2 of them aren't even designed for the A5X, no?

The fear wasn't that new apps would be huge. It was that our old apps would be 2-3x the size and people with old 16GB iPads were royally screwed. I think this was all based on Apple's iWork apps all ballooning in size.

So far, its looking like its not such a big deal.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Real racing 2 takes up 1.1 gb according to my iPad. So that is either the first one or the size is wrong?

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Are they supposed to be bigger? When the iPhone moved from 3G to retina 4 then the apps stayed relatively the same size

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Are they supposed to be bigger? When the iPhone moved from 3G to retina 4 then the apps stayed relatively the same size

Well the apps need a whole new set of images that are twice as large, although the file size won't be much bigger. Still twice as many images.

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
The new Kindle app, which supports the retinal display, has an installed size on my iPad and iPhone of 25 MB. I don't know if that's larger than the older version, but it's certainly small enough not to be a concern. I can see where games and apps with lots of graphics could be an issue, though.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
The new Kindle app, which supports the retinal display, has an installed size on my iPad and iPhone of 25 MB. I don't know if that's larger than the older version, but it's certainly small enough not to be a concern. I can see where games and apps with lots of graphics could be an issue, though.

The Kindle app is pretty basic and not very graphically intense.

The only problem would be for those 16GB users because sure a couple apps won't be a lot, but who has a couple apps? It builds up.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not sure about this, but are you sure those are the correct sizes? If you view a universal app on your iPhone, it displays the iPhone app's sizes. If you view the same app on your iPad, it displays the iPad app's sizes.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Well the apps need a whole new set of images that are twice as large, although the file size won't be much bigger. Still twice as many images.

Same for when everything written for the iPhone 3G/3Gs was redone for the iPhone 4. Double resolution, required twice as large images.

The world didn't implode then for some reason. I suspect it won't implode this time. There will probably be a few egregious examples the Chicken Littles trot out repeatedly and there will be a few folks used to riding along with a tiny amount of headroom who have to upgrade or clean up their stuff.

The rest of us will just plod along as we've been doing and likely not notice whatever differences are under the hood..

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Same for when everything written for the iPhone 3G/3Gs was redone for the iPhone 4. Double resolution, required twice as large images.

The world didn't implode then for some reason. I suspect it won't implode this time. There will probably be a few egregious examples the Chicken Littles trot out repeatedly and there will be a few folks used to riding along with a tiny amount of headroom who have to upgrade or clean up their stuff.

The rest of us will just plod along as we've been doing and likely not notice whatever differences are under the hood..
But unlike with the 3GS > 4, we're dealing with much bigger resolutions to bat so it may have more of an impact.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
3D games such as the one in the OP aren't running at the native resolution of the new iPad

According to the release notes Real Racing 2 HD is running at native resolution. If the download size hasn't change then they probably haven't upgraded their texture maps to a higher resolution to match the Retina display. I still think it's impressive that the new iPad can run one of the highest quality games in the app store at it's full resolution.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
But unlike with the 3GS > 4, we're dealing with much bigger resolutions to bat so it may have more of an impact.

It may. There are also a lot more apps in the market place and some people keep a surprisingly large number of apps on their device.

What it really boils down to in the end is what portion of an app's size is made up of 2D graphics images or tiles and how much space is needed by those graphics.

I suspect the effect will be different for different apps, and not nearly as pronounced as some fear it will be. In three weeks I doubt this will be anything but yet another archived thread.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It may. There are also a lot more apps in the market place and some people keep a surprisingly large number of apps on their device.

What it really boils down to in the end is what portion of an app's size is made up of 2D graphics images or tiles and how much space is needed by those graphics.

I suspect the effect will be different for different apps, and not nearly as pronounced as some fear it will be. In three weeks I doubt this will be anything but yet another archived thread.
Hopefully it won't have a big effect on anything.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Apple pretty much cheaped out on us in the memory department. To offer the new iPad at 32GBs standard would have cost them almost nothing. But we should have been atleast given a 128GB option.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
It's kinda besides the point, but the apps will increase in size; just matter of by how much. I feel bad for iPhone/iPad 1 & 2 users who are stuck with universal apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.