retina display on the imac yes or no?.. maybe YES!(food for thought)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by edry.hilario, Jul 1, 2012.

1. edry.hilario, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

so.. i have few theories regarding the wether the 2012 imac will have retina display or not. After you read this just have a minute to really think about what im going to say.. So people are saying that the new imac wont be a redesign with retina display this year i am too a believer of this too; however before we go there theres a few things to consider. First imacs redesigns have been between 2 to 3 period, it has been 3 years since the imac hasn't gotten a new design which could lead to apple have a new design for these machines in 2012. Furthermore people are saying they cant make these display but lets be honest right now.. apple can do anything they want if the really want to. Third abc news reported it, and if you remember that way before the retina macbook pro was release; abc's rumors were dead on and 100% accurate about the macbook pros. ABC news speculated that there will be an imac 2012 with retina. Also remember leaked macbook pros without retina display? i believe that the instapaper guy could have been misguided or had a tip for the imacs without retina display, because i believe that apple will do the same with the imacs ie.. offering same design plus a "next generation iMac". Now let me touch on the price. I think we are going crazy by saying that it wont be an affordable machine.. however i heard this from everyone about the new 15 inch retina macbook pro before it was released and turn out to be a somewhat affordable. In addition large retina display isnt something that has never done before, well maybe not called "retina" but if you search around google and read some forums even here at mac rumors you will find that these display have been made before.. so apple can very well make these machines today. Whether apple releases iMacs with retina display or not im getting a maxed out one but i hope they do get retina... Im eager to know what you guys think now that you've read this.

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Careful what you wish for. A retina display at that size would exceed a 4K resolution, not many graphics cards can handle that alone. This would put immense pressure on the GPU requiring a rediculously powerful card with 3GB+ dedicated memory, and the power that would be consumed in this process would also be immense.

If you ever wanted to even play a game it would be upscaled and the GPU would struggle to play it, now would you really want all that? Or an already crisp 27" display with already almost indistinguishable pixels?

The 'option' would be nice, but I myself would never choose it.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

rMBP is already struggling under the pressure of handling its own Retina Display and its GPU is already nearly the fastest in its class.

An iMac with Retina Display would require so much power that it's not feasible right now.

It will happen, yes, but when? Not this or next year, they'll work on the smaller laptops and then move on to desktops.

4. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

good point... but i still think apple can figure it out, or some way around it. at the same time im 90% sure that we wont see a retina imac i just want youre thoughts on my op

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

After hearing Apples suggested workaround for the image retention problem on the Retina MBP's (Lower resolution is preferences), I have zero interest in a retina screen for the iMac, at least until they work this out.

6. AndyCarolan macrumors member

I would personally like to wait for the technology to mature. Sure, it is the future... Apple is just ahead of the game... again :)

7. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

With no new Imac on July..well..you have :
    1.the gorgeus but outdated 2011 Imac;
    2.the 2012,Ivy Bridge,Usb3 ,non retina MacBook Pro.
    I think i can buy this one and wait for the 2013 Imac to come.
    I have just one doubt.
    How fast is the new Cactus Ridge Thunderbolt Chip(MbPro2012) opposed to the old Light Ridge (Imac2011)?
    Can you explain this to me?
    Thanks.

8. njean777 macrumors 6502

I really doubt they will release a retina iMac, if they did they would have to include at least a desktop graphics card which would make it bigger then apple would like. Even a GTX 680 would have a hard time with the resolution.

9. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

When you look at Apple's history, they almost always favor marketing glamour for simple headlines over real world practicality. (playing off failure to include tech as "unnecessary" until they decide to implement it; pushing Retina on underpowered gpu's on macbook pros, etc.) This is why I have a nagging suspicion they'll release with a "retina" display - for the headlines.

I mean for christ's sake, its slowing the framerate on the OSX desktop just opening, closing, and zooming windows! No thank you. The regular display is good enough. If they wanted to do a minor resolution bump, it would be just fine with me.

10. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

While agree with most of you guys I still don't understand what's the hate with retina screen I mean have you looked at the 15 inch retina MacBook pro it looks amazing!. Id love for apple to make it happen

11. AndyCarolan, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

AndyCarolan macrumors member

I'm a big fan of Retina, I just think that the technology to support it needs some time to mature naturally for large screen use

12. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I think retina is amazing. Looks fantastic.

Having said that, I don't really see the point for large screens.

13. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

as it's now July and no news I'm starting to think there is no 2012 iMac again guys :(

14. AndyCarolan macrumors member

You realize that its only the 2nd right? ;)

15. Randomoneh macrumors regular

Randomoneh

In what bizarro world it there is no point to it?

Are you even familiar with term angular resolution? No?

16. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 'option' would be nice, but I myself would never choose it.[/QUOTE]

you kinda contradicting yourself.. it looks great but no point on larger screen... yeah right i bet if apple would offer it at an attractive price we would all be salivating over it.

----------

but what if apple removes the optical drive make everything smaller then adds a desktop gpu on it kinda like apple did with the ssd taking it out of the casing.. and stuff idk.

17. Scythe5 macrumors regular

you kinda contradicting yourself.. it looks great but no point on larger screen... yeah right i bet if apple would offer it at an attractive price we would all be salivating over it.

I guess I was. My personal feeling is that it is still a small screen solution, and wouldn't add enough to warrant the extra $$ to have it on a large screen.

18. er15 macrumors member

Definitely would love to see a Retina iMac, however todays hardware is somewhat limited to meet those demands.

Anandtech on his youtube channel did a review on retina mbp and mentioned the hardware limitations. For those that are interested I'll leave the link below:

http://youtu.be/94OenZ71ADY

19. Litany macrumors member

Zero chance of a retina iMac in the next 5 years. The display alone would add more than $2000 to the base price and you would need an $800 GPU for enough muscle to drive it.
    Add the Apple Tax and you're looking at a $6000 iMac. Would you pay that for a pretty screen?

Going from the current 109dpi to the old MBP's "high-res" 150dpi makes far more sense, would be "retina" to 99% of users and would be a small fraction of the price.

20. roanmartigan macrumors member

hmmm... right. because we clearly have that kind of visibility. Remember that the iphone did not exist five years ago ?

21. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I'd bet it will be a 1920x1080 x2 display, that can be bumped in the scaling options (like with the rMBP) to the same resolution that the 27" is now. That would make it more manageable cost-wise.

22. SaltSlasher macrumors member

Would I care if I needed a 3gb video card that can handle a extremely nice Retina screen...no!

Who wouldn't want one! Of course there not going to put it on unless the entire system can handle it, so yeah it would suck if you take iMac 2011 and add a Retina screen....but look at MBP 2012, it has Retina and it is an apple wet dream...same with my iPad 3rd gen.

If they can put it on a portable laptop and an iPad, I don't think it should be all that difficult for them to put it in a desktop!

If it was me, I wouldn't do it on this Tock aka Ivy Bridge. I would wait for the new die in Intel's TICK, also giving me even better graphics from nvidia and then release the Retina screen with some new powerful intel processor and some amazing nvidia gpu that can handle retina with ease...

23. SaltSlasher macrumors member

You guys sound like Retina is some rumor or hasn't been invented...do you think Apple put Retina in an Ipad and a laptop, without trying to put it in an iMac screen??? I bet they have one already(whether for testing or for reals)

The only reason we won't see it in a 2012 release, is because of the total price....but then again, don't they charge $2200+ for a retina MBP, and isn't there a market willing to pay that high, like $3200 for an iMac Retina 27"??

The graphics have nothing to do with it, I mean they got Retina running on 15" off of a GT 650M in a laptop....

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sure .. but Retina for iPhone was merely 960x640, a resolution that actually not that big and higher ones have been exist long before that.

Retina iPad and MBP was almost pushing the boundary, their GPU barely able to handle things on the display, reports show new iPad becomes warmer than usual because of heavier workload on handling extra pixels.

But Retina 27" is something else. It would be 4K or even 5K resolution, something entirely new for consumer market. And no consumer GPU can handle that without hiccups or overheat.
    Maybe you're gonna need dual GPUs or more for that, something iMac would never have.