Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Hi,

I have a Retina Macbook Pro. Currently I run it with 3 monitors.
Thunderbolt to 30inch Dell monitor with a box that converts the signal to DVI
Thunderbold to a 27 inch non thunderbolt iMac using a mini-display port cable
And the laptop screen itself.

I have an Apple 24inch LED (non thunderbolt) monitor. I'm wondering if there's a way to add this in via the unused HDMI port on the Retina laptop.

I see a lot of mini-displayport to HDMI but not HDMI to mini-displayport. My impression is that the mini-DP to HDMI only go in that direction.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LoMonkey

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OC6LWM/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Can't you just flip the cable around and plug the HDMI into the computer and minidisplayport into the monitor?

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OC6LWM/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Can't you just flip the cable around and plug the HDMI into the computer and minidisplayport into the monitor?

My impression, which could be wrong, is that this cable only goes in 1 direction. mini-display TO hdmi... and not hdmi TO mini display.

sholzer

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
From what I have seen before, I believe that you are correct that the connector only works in one direction.

blackreplica

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Hi,

I have a Retina Macbook Pro. Currently I run it with 3 monitors.
Thunderbolt to 30inch Dell monitor with a box that converts the signal to DVI
Thunderbold to a 27 inch non thunderbolt iMac using a mini-display port cable
And the laptop screen itself.

I have an Apple 24inch LED (non thunderbolt) monitor. I'm wondering if there's a way to add this in via the unused HDMI port on the Retina laptop.

I see a lot of mini-displayport to HDMI but not HDMI to mini-displayport. My impression is that the mini-DP to HDMI only go in that direction.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Slightly OT but was just wondering how your experience was using 3 displays with the current gen rMBP. Any issues with GUI lag or stuttering?

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Monitors

Slightly OT but was just wondering how your experience was using 3 displays with the current gen rMBP. Any issues with GUI lag or stuttering?

Sorry for the late reply. I never saw this.

I almost always use 2 external monitors and the internal monitor of mm Mid 2012 Retina MBP. It works really well. Sometimes there can be some GUI stuttering when I'm switching virtual desktops but I'm often running a lot of programs and Parallels Virtual machines as well. Often times it's very smooth as well.

I'm trying to get a 3rd external monitor out via the HDMI port. If I do then I'll run the laptop with the lid close and who knows it might even improve because it's pushing less pixels...

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Should work with a passive converter. You need an hdmi to display port cable, or a hdmi to dvi and then dvi to mdp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.