Retina MacBook as only main/only laptop? Who is with me!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Geert76, May 3, 2015.

1. Geert76 macrumors 6502a

I am just wandering who else will be using their retina Macbook as their only/main computer/laptop.

I am in no way a professional user, I am a very casual user.
    My workload is just streaming Spotify, streaming movies to my ATV3, webbrowsing, Mail, Calendar, very light photo editting (about 10 a month).

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's my only laptop and my only computer. I don't have a desktop. I came from a 13" rMBP. I travel daily, so the size matters to me. My usage isn't that heavy, I use my Mac as my workhorse but most of the work I do is web-based. I love it.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

my only computer for both work and personal use. At work, I dock to an external display. It is handling everything I use it for. I mentioned this in a different thread, but I have had three rMB's and all three have had very difference performance. I could have never used the first 2 daily as a first or second machine.

4. bmustaf macrumors regular

I didn't think that this would happen, but, yes, rMB is my only laptop.

I went into the purchase/initial use thinking I'd frequently have to use my 2014 rMBP 15" in situations where I needed either the screen real estate or power to do dev work, but I haven't found that need at all as the rMB handles those tasks competently and does it with awesome portability when I am away from my desk (where there is no question, though, when I am at my desk I'd much rather use a quad-core/maxxed out 5k iMac).

At this point, my rMBP 15" kinda sits in "no man's land", it's not nearly as powerful as what is sitting on my desk and it's not nearly as portable as my rMB. Sure, it is fast and has as great discrete graphics processor, but for my work, it's now occupying a weird space in-between the rMB and my iMac that keeps it relegated to paperweight duty for now (and, wow, after carrying the rMB on a few transcon flights and trips visiting multiple customers, it makes the rMBP + its massive 85w charger feel like a brick - rMB has me down to one bag, carry-on, overhead friendly for a full week's trip).

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not me. Giving up all my external ports is not an option.

The rMB is a great option for some but I still do not think we are ready for a fanless computer yet. What experience I have had with the rBM was enough to convince me.

6. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Same way I feel about my iPad. No use for it anymore. To me personally, I find the iPad has no use for me anymore. I can do so much more on the new RMB now. I'm really loving the size, it's slightly larger than an iPad, and much more useful.

7. tecnho macrumors 6502

retina Macbook as only main/only laptop? who is with me!?

Only computer. Relatively light usage. It will also mostly be hooked up to a charger despite some people's argument that another type of laptop would be more suitable for this setup. The retina was the main driving force for the decision, but I also retain the ability to carry it easily around the apartment - from desk to couch to bed, and during the rare out-of-town venture.

8. fatefulwhisper, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

This is also my only computer. I use it for work and personal use. I'm a web developer.

These apps are ALWAYS open on my system: Chrome (multiple tabs and windows open--incognito mode and other profiles), Safari (same as Chrome), Firefox (same as Chrome), VMWare Fusion (for IE--same as Chrome), Vagrant (VirtualBox), Photoshop (at least 3-4 images open), Sublime Text (at least 2-3 projects open, with at least 10-20 tabs each), Hipchat, Messages, SourceTree, Mailbox, Terminal (with at least 4-5 tabs), Various dock apps (1password, BetterTouchTool, Bartender, ClipMenu).

These apps are occasionally open: iTunes (for music), VLC (occasional movie watching), Microsoft Word & Excel, Keynote, a few games (Minecraft, mostly).

With all these apps open on a daily basis, you are probably wondering about current CPU usage when most of them are idle, and if my system gets hot. Currently, it feels stone cold to the touch, and the CPU usage is hitting an average of about 4%. It will peak up to at most 15% for a couple of seconds when I watch a video or switch to a VM window, but then it drops down again.

Edit: FYI, I have the 1.2GHz/512GB model.

Attached Files:

9. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow...nice! that's quite a workload you got there. Impressive to see that the new rMB can handle these Apps without a really high CPU usage. Are you using the base model?

This is just another example for all the nay-sayers that this machine can only handle webbrowsing and hardly anything else... completly not true!

10. Mark Kappert macrumors regular

Mark Kappert

I am with you! Going to use the new retina MacBook as main laptop for college and personal use.

Going to do some light video and photo editing, browsing, mail, using word and PowerPoint

11. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I updated my post w/ the model I have.

I think CPU usage is low with all my apps open (even with 2 VM's, currently running full time), due to OS X and App Nap. https://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

12. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

I wont know until it arrives but I ordered it intending it to be my only laptop (for daily personal and academic use) .......

.........and sell my old 1st gen unibody macbook subject to getting a reasonable price to offset a little of the cost of the rMB. That said I am slightly tempted to keep it if I find I prefer using it to write essays and assignments BUT ONLY IF once I strip everything (mainly music and large photo library) off it and update the OS it performs faster - lots of lag and freezing at the moment for various reasons.

I didn't use my macbook for months after i upgraded my iPad 2 to an iPad Air (1) as it provided a much faster experience for web and e-mail. However I resumed Uni studies part time (distance learning) and have been back using my old macbook for that.

That said I also have an iMac but it is my kitchen and although I could move it and use it for studying I like it there for different purposes.

I don't have an issue with having the rMB in terms of ports etc.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I totally understand that point of view. I live it a pretty much wireless world. The only thing I need a port for is charging and an external display. Outside of that everything else I do can be done wireless: printing, storage, backups, etc.

A single port with a single adapter even looks better than an HDMI in one side and the magsafe on the other side.

14. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

same here. Backups via my Time Capsule (AC model and I do have a rock solid fast internet connection at home) and wireless printing. I also need just one port, that is for charging. Nothing else.
    iPhone and iPad syncing via WiFi

15. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I agree with you it's NOT for everyone, nor was it meant to be. The problem is whenever Apple comes out a new product, every Apple fanboy thinks it should be designed for them... but the beauty of Apple is they have a wide range of products tailored to a wide range of users. I could say what a joke the watch is, but I realize it wasn't designed for me. That doesn't make it a joke, it just means the product isn't for me.

The Macbook was designed like Apple spies on my life. I have an iMac at home, and had a Macbook Air for the road. I travel international 2 weeks out of the month. The thinner and lighter they can make it, the better. The better the screen, the happier I am. When I travel I don't use ports. I connect to the wifi, my mouse is bluetooth. sure it's nice to be able to plug my phone in, but it syncs with my home computer not my laptop. So while it may not be for some, Apple hit the nail on the head making a laptop for ME. :)

In fairness, I could NOT use it as a primary computer though.

16. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Considering how tiny the logic board is for the rMB, it's approximately the size of an iPhone. I think in the future (probably 5-10 years down the line?), the only "computer" we will carry will be our phones, in our pocket, which we can carry everywhere. Once they figure out how to get wireless power the same way we get wireless internet, we won't need batteries anymore. If we need a keyboard/mouse, we would have to buy those separately and hook them up individually, along w/ a larger screen, if needed.

If you think about it, the iPhone has the same # of ports as the rMB; 1 headphone jack and 1 charge/data port.

17. paulopadopa macrumors regular

This won't happen. People want bigger screens than on iPhones. There will always be a market for a bigger device

18. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Retina MacBook is my only laptop. I use it for college course work and on the couch. Love the machine. I have a desktop server with an i7 hooked up to my tv that I remote into for any hardcore processing tasks, I hardly have any of those.

19. ctyrider, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

My 1.3Ghz rMB will be my only computer. So far - it's done everything I've thrown at at it, so no reason to complicate life with multiple computers.

At home and work - I have it connected to Dell 25" 1440p display, so I get the benefit of extra screen real estate when I am working at my desk.

[​IMG]

20. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Nice setup, but you need a mouse. LOL

21. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

great set up! very nice

22. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Nah. I haven't used mice since 2009. Trackpad is all I need ;)

23. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

That's a nice monitor. How is the pixel density? 27 1440 was still a little grainy to my eyes.

24. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

"Our life is frittered away by detail. An honest man has hardly need to count more than his ten fingers, or in extreme cases he may add his ten toes, and lump the rest. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!"

Maybe this is the laptop Henry D. Thoreau would have used:D

I'm loving the 12" Macbook, but can't see this as my main machine. Granted it could replace my work supplied late 2008 15" Macbook Pro, but it can't replace my personally owned 27" iMac for my photography hobby.

For mobile use the 12" great.

For those who can manage with the 12" alone I admire your "Thoreauism"

25. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

It's great. And that's the exact reason why I went with U2515H display - at 25", it offers better PPI than the standard 27" 1440p displays (including Apple's own Thunderbolt Display). I also love the fact that it's a matte display - it's a lot easier on the eyes than Apple's glossy displays. I am quite happy with this setup.