Retina Macbook Pro 15“ 2015 vs iMAC 21” 3.1 GHZ i7 256 SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MediaMaster, May 24, 2015.

1. MediaMaster macrumors newbie

I need to purchase a new Mac computer to start developing iOS apps using Xcode/Swift. It's my first time Mac. I know its kinda of portability choice between the 2 models but It's not an issue with me as I'm not travelling a lot nor develop apps outside home. So my main concern is that to be comfortable with coding. (screen size factor, Retina display, ...etc).

Inline with this, I know that WWDC will be held after 20 days and I'm not sure shall I wait until then may be they would announce for any new 21.5 iMac?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :eek::eek::eek:

2. Pieterr macrumors regular

Then why not buy the Retina iMac? :)

3. MediaMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Pieterr, Thanks for your answer. However, It seems that its higher than my budget (1800 - 1900 $). Also Including the fusion drive (or SSD) is a must. So it will raise the value to over 2.2 K. :(

4. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

If you're worried, wait until after WWDC. It's really not a long wait :)

5. Pieterr macrumors regular

Another option would be the 2.6GHz Mac mini with SSD/FD upgrade ($900) plus a LG 34UM95 monitor. Awesome for coding!

6. MediaMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't mac mini 2.6 be weak for coding (dual core)? I saw a lot of threads talking about using it in regular tasks ( watching movies, surfing internet, ...etc) and there are a lot of lagging so it's designed for day to day use only! I'm not sure if that correct or not!

I can afford 2.8 Ghz Mac mini with 16 GB Ram but wasn't sure also the dual core option would fit for coding or not.

7. Pieterr macrumors regular

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I even code on my Surface 3 (not the Pro variant).

In fact, any Mac sold today with an FD/SSD will more than suffice. What you need is an external display.

9. MediaMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help. I do really appreciate all answers. :rolleyes::cool: