Retina MacBook sleep and battery life - MacBook waking every hour or two

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SSD-GUY, Feb 5, 2016.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys

So i've been running some tests, I've left my rMB to sleep for some time, and the battery life after sleep hasn't been amazing.

I let it the MacBook sleep for 24 Hours, leaving the battery at 17%. When I returned, it had gone down to 5%.

I've gone into the console, and I can see that my Mac is waking up nearly every hour, either due to a mixture of RTC alarms and/or other things which I can't work out (I.E, they aren't RTC alarms)

I've attached my Console log file. Can someone please help me figure out what is causing my Mac to wake, as I'm pretty sure this is affecting its battery life.

Attached Files:

2. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Mine was waking every two hours on the dot. If I shut off wifi before putting it to sleep, it largely addresses it. An extra step having to turn on/off wifi when you wake/sleep the Mac, but it mostly works around the drain. Give it a try. I searched a bit but there were no real answer I found that explains these RTC alarm wakes..

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/retina-macbook-sleep-issues.1951554/ it may help to shed some light on the issue.

First check the power settings with;
    Code:
    pmset -g
    Then see what is waking up the system with;
    Code:
    cat /var/log/system.log | grep -i "wake reason"
    On 10.10.5 my own 1.2 rMBP sleeps solidly without issue, loosing very little charge even if not used for several days. 10.11 calls home far more than 10.10, equally it should not be an issue. For many closing WiFi has proved to be the only reliable solution, which I appreciate is annoying given Apple`s premium status. First is to try and isolate the cause; hardware, software - native or third party only then can you begin resolve.

Q-6

5. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

As I'm still in the Hackintosh community, some people there have fixed the problem by disabling bonjour multicast or something? Any idea what the repercussions of that are?

I'll post the relevant link later.