Retina MBP: 8 vs 16 GB RAM. Which one holds it's value best?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomura, Jun 16, 2012.

1. nomura macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to buy the new Retina Macbook Pro for College use. I know a MBA 13" would do the job but I'm in love with that beast.

I'm a terrible victim of Apple's marketing and I always want the latest and greatest. For this reason, I update my Macs every year, never buy apple care and always get the base model. So, I sort of "rent" a mac for 100-200€/year rather than buying one for the long run.

It's predictable that they will kill the non-retina MBP on the next or the other refresh and decrease the retina base price to 1799 somewhere in 2013.

I know I can sell the base RMBP for 1700 next year before the refresh, but will the extra 200 for the 16Gb ram hold its value and make my buyer want to pay that extra cost? Will the limited 8Gb ram make it unattractive for PRO buyers?

For my use, it's absolutely worthless: Ill barely use 4-6Gb of ram.
    If I get the RAM update it will be just as a selling point next year.

I know some of you are mac "renters" like me. What's your choice?

2. Andru1313 macrumors regular

Will leave my opinion out as far as your theory of selling.. But in reguards to RAM since the ram is not removeable or upgradable except for time of purchase I would say it should hold its value. Was worht the extra money now to go with the 16

3. Fynd macrumors 6502

Heh, I 'rentt' every Apple product :/

I went with 16, because I believe it will be easier to sell when the time comes due to RAM being soldered, and Apple competitors offering 16gb standard just to buff their spec sheets.

4. aoaaron macrumors 6502

RAM is for the first time ever priced pretty moderately this year. If you have the money, I'd get it.

5. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I really don't like to the idea of BTO just for resale value later on.

It helps fabricate a baseline that is artificial, and drives down the value of everyone else's stuff.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

8GB will probably hold value better b/c people buying used machines are more price conscious than people buying new and are not going to pay $200 more for a 16GB. However, the 16GB might be easier to sell in a couple of years. In one year I don't think it will matter much.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

im not sure how much extra value it would really be. you'll be paying $200 for it. if i'm eventually looking for a used RMBP in a year or two, i'd expect the price disparity between 8gb and 16gb versions to be not much at all. and this is coming from someone who would definitely want 16gb.

8. Bumslayer macrumors newbie

I am a Mac renter much like you. The upgrades do not hold their value, go base if you're selling next year. Only upgrade if you need it.

9. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I purchased the 8GB, not only because of a cost standpoint but because of a resell standpoint.

My 2010 non-warrantied 13" MacBook Pro with minor cosmetic damage sold for market price on Craigslist in 3 hours. All Apple computers hold their value well, so when I want to sell this one in ~2-3 years, it'll be worth a lot of money either way.

I don't need 16GB, I rarely use over 3GB.

10. orthorim macrumors 6502

Cheapest 16GB aftermarket I could find was $180.

Apple uses quality RAM and also it's soldered on of course.

So: 16. Clearly.

11. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Having 16 GB will make the machine easier to sell later on, however I doubt it will hold it's $200 upgrade value. RAM is composed of flash components and the price of flash components is dropping very quickly. Last year 16 GB (2x8 GB) cost over $1000 total. I think the 16 GB option will be a great selling point when you want to get rid of the machine, but I doubt you'll get any extra money for it.

12. Bumslayer macrumors newbie

For one it's 8gb for $180 as a student the price isn't for 16 because you get 8 already. You won't make that back selling used. You will however sell it quicker, maybe get $50 of it back based on past experiences.