Retina MBP accident - what's AppleCare stance on accidental damage? Possible issues..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mogzieee, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, please bear with me as I try explain this as best as I can!

Last week I was cycling and unfortunately (to cut a long story short) came off my bike and landed on my back which also meant landing on my satchel with my new rMBP inside.

As you can imagine, I was a bit sad to see that my new shiny notebook came off worse than I did :(

The main damage was on my charger. My UK plug was completely squashed and will have to be replaced (though this isn't too much of a problem as I'm just using my old 85W charger with MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter).

[​IMG]

In terms of my actual MacBook -- it still all works fine, but I've noticed a couple of issues that may or may not have been caused by the accident. It's for this reason I'd want AppleCare (which I fortunately purchased - on a higher education contract) to check over and give my laptop a clean bill of health. I've noticed that:

• Takes about 5-15 seconds to actually wake up from sleep
    • WiFi always takes about 10-15 seconds to re-connect after sleeping
    • The fan goes full pelt even on the most basic of things, such as watching a YouTube video (flash)
    • There's some small areas on my display appearing (when closed, probably around the ALT and S key region) that appear almost purple like in glare -- to be clear, not something wrong with the pixels or anything technological.... as if something, perhaps raised keys, are rubbing against it.

The damage on my MacBook is pretty minor, but certainly noticeable if you look closely. The main thing is a shallow but large dent on the underside of the MacBook... not really visible in a photo, but labelled here:

[​IMG]

Then when you look on the side, you can see it has been pushed up by the USB and headphone socket. No straight line anymore! When you close the screen, this prevents it from closing fully on the left side, leaving a few millimetres gap.

[​IMG]

This view is from the top, you can see where the USB is.

[​IMG]

Ok, so my main questions are:

1. What's AppleCare policy on accidental damange like this? Would I covered for free, or am I expected to pay? I've yet to check, but I believe this damage may be covered on my home insurance too - doesn't anyone have any experience/advice with that?
    2. Should I expect a new machine entirely or just a fix of this one, if necessary?
    3. Are any of the problems I've been experiencing likely to have been caused by the accident?

Thanks in advance for any help, let me know. Before anyone asks my nearest retail store is a bit of a way away, plus I've been very busy, hence hadn't had the time to ask a genius myself.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Applecare is an extended warranty against manufacturer defects. If the damage is accidental then the warranty will not cover the repair.

3. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I expected. Cheers for your fast response. Apologies for my inept-ness.... 4 and a half years of my old MacBook and never once needed to see a Genius. 2 months of the new one, and this!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member