Retina MBP Batt. Health %98 after 25 cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odem, Apr 15, 2013.

1. odem macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I bought a rMBP 2 months ago and I am very happy with it. However, it is my first MB and i really am new to this and wnat to get the best out of it.

The thing is ; since last week , my battery health showed between %102 and %99 but for the last couple of days , it's somewhere %99 and %97 . And i've never seen %100 since than.

Is it normal after only 25 cycles? Or should I go and see an Apple store?

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Very normal. Seldom will you see 100%.

3. Queen6, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Forget about it, these figures fluctuate continuously there are too many dependencies to be 100% accurate; temperature, system load, on charge or off. All you need to do is "exercise" the battery by discharging it by a approximately 20% every 2-4 weeks. Personally I set a reminder and discharge the battery on a regular basis. The battery is a consumable item, and it will be consumed irrespective of the user, it can be slowed with good management.

4. odem thread starter macrumors newbie

right now i am recharcing it from %5 to %100 , and on regular basis when i play lol , it's always charging and when i'm done playing and lay on sofa , it's not on adapter. I never let mbp stay on adapter while I'm at sleep or work and generally, my battery percentage is between 96 -98 % and 30-40 %. Is it a good usage or anyone give any tips other than what says on apple website?

5. F1 Fan, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

I'm sure GGJ Studios will turn up soon to provide battery advice but from what I can remember...

You should leave it plugged in whenever possible. Try to use the battery every few days but you don't need to drain it, just use take it down to 80% or so and then plug back in.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Mine was at 97% at 20 cycles and now it's back to 100%. Those numbers are really just a guideline, don't worry about them. Unless you notice the battery being bad those numbers really mean nothing.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

8. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

As the others have said, the health will vary. Mine is currently 101% after 65 cycles, my mac spends 80% of its time off the charger.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're simply putting cycles needlessly on your battery. Read the laptop battery guide at the top of this forum, it'll tell you everything you need to know, and more.

10. odem thread starter macrumors newbie

guys,

thank you very much for the feedback. I am just a new MBP user and i want to use this machine as much as i could. Thinking that i spend so much on this machine, i can't save this much for like 2-3 years:)