Retina MBP to Samsung Smart TV, can it be done?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Jan 13, 2013.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I've searched around online and can't seem to find a simple solution without having to purchase any new equipment.

I have a retina macbook pro and a samsung led smart/3d tv in the living room. I'd like to share my retina screen to the tv to play movies and such wirelessly. Has anyone successfully done this?

I know an apple tv would do this, or any usb media receiver but again, I'd like to see if it's possible to do without the above equipment.

thanks everyone
    martin

2. simsaladimbamba

It is probably not, since you need some device to transmit/convert the video and audio signals (thus compressing it) and probably a device to receive/decode it.

And Apple TV would be the simplest option.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Airplay Mirroring to Apple TV would be the simplest way. :)

4. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

if you want to play *all* media (mkv, xvid, divx.. etc) the easiest is having a nas with any of the million mediaservers running...
    we´ve got a WD Worldbook running twonky mediaserver, the Samsung 55"ES8000.. works perfect (the tv is connected wired, the wireless is not great)

or you can run twonky or other mediaserver on your mac...
    an appletv is nothing but trouble ;)

5. Dre180 macrumors member

If cables aren't an issue why not hook up via HDMI?? When I used airplay mirroring through ethernet, the audio was lackluster imo. Wouldn't HDMI provide a much better option in terms of AV quality?

6. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I have an AppleTV and I play my movies/music stored on my iTunes to my TV. I have an optical cable connected from the AppleTV to my receiver to ensure that I have great sound.

As of right now the AppleTV can't handel lossless audio found in blurays but it can if jailbroken.

For now it's just playing out regular 5.1 surroundsound.

7. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

as stated above i'd like to keep it wireless if possible

8. Dre180 macrumors member

Sorry, I'm tired today. I missed the obvious key word wirelessly!

9. cheezeit macrumors 6502

10. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

I use an Apple TV that is jailbroken and running ATV Flash. It will play just about any format.

Although I have my TV 55" ES8000 connected via wired connection and it connects directly to my Home Server, and it plays most media files.

My vote would be the apple TV for $99. We use our more then I would like to admit.

11. aeus macrumors newbie