Retina or Hi-res MBP instead of external 27" screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xchaotic, Jun 22, 2012.

1. xchaotic macrumors member

Hi all.

Currently I am using the following setup 13" MBP for travel/work at home + PC hooked up to a 27" screen.

Now when I am in the office, it's a bit of a hassle to switch between the PC and a Mac, I use dropbox etc to sync things, but it's still a hassle.

I was almost ready to sell the PC and upgrade to the ultimate 13" or 11" MBA.
    So I plugged the LCD with DP to DVI adapter and it simply doesn't work - a little bit of google shows that people have loads of problems like that and that docking might end up being a bit of a hassle - at minimum I will need to plug 3 things: power, display and USB (for kb+mouse).
    As an alternative to the whole docking thing, I am thinking of simply getting a slightly larger Macbook Pro, and using that all the time.
    My concern is mostly the fact that Ill be hunched and it's not very good for ergonomy.
    Is it better to replace the connector or even the whole LCD and still get macbook air, or should I get Macbook Pro alone?

2. Panini macrumors regular

The way I see it hunching is the main concern, and if you can't raise your table height (or lower your chair) I wouldn't recommend a laptop for primary use.

The Retina display isn't a replacement for a 27" External, even if resolution tells you otherwise. The sheer size of an external display increases productivity. Things will be very small if you try to match the external monitor's scaling by running 2880x1800 native. Just keep in mind resolution is only half the picture - size is the other.